Author Topic: Coolant evaporating or leaking ?  (Read 844 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Coolant evaporating or leaking ?
« on: July 09 2023, 13:26 »
Hi to all ,
I noticed after around 150hours on the D2 55 that coolant level was on low line limit . It regularly goes high and low, high when engine is running or hot . But I think it had lost some . It has been serviced recently , new flanges /gaskets and everything . I checked the cap of the expansion tank and had some white residue and also the hose on the cap on the heat exchanger I can see some moisture . Is it normal that every 200 hours  to need around 100ml refill?

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Coolant evaporating or leaking ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09 2023, 16:01 »
Check for evidence of any leakage around the hose connections and the filler neck on the heat exchanger.  Coolant that evaporates will often leave residue.  My filler neck slowly leaks a bit of coolant when the engine is hot.  I'm going to attend to it very shortly.

Jake
Bav 44 2004
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #2 on: July 09 2023, 16:53 »
I saw some residue on the expansion tank cap and the hose , I ll keep a closer watch . Thanks

Jess21

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #3 on: July 10 2023, 11:01 »
When recently filled with new cooling liquid, some air bubbles might be enclosed in the boiler and motor. When the motor is in use for a couple of hours you probably need to add some cooling fluid (1/2 .. 1 liter is possible).
So: first wait and see...