Author Topic: 2007 Bavaria 50 Stanchion Repair  (Read 1250 times)

allendick

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
2007 Bavaria 50 Stanchion Repair
« on: March 05 2023, 04:01 »
My 2007 Bavaria 50 sustained some damage when I was not there and a stanchion is hanging loose.  The base is missing but I located one on SVB24 and have it on hand.

At first I was quite intimidated but now the solution appears quite straightforward.  Just the same I figured I should consult.

The base appears to be screwed onto the plastic rail under the teak cap with screws, not bolts and with no backing.  I had thought to use something like 5200 to endure a rigid mount but after realised that if I am right, this is a very clever system, designed to be very strong against impact from on the deck but weak when hit from outside, so that a crew member falling against it is held, but when hit but another boat or piling, designed to fall inward, saving the stanchion from bending.

I am attaching pictures.  As I see it, a blow from outside should pull up the screws and if strong enough to do damage, pull them out, but a blow from the deck side should be resisted strongly because it attempts to pull sideways on  the screws.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: 2007 Bavaria 50 Stanchion Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 05 2023, 09:01 »
You are spot-on in your assessment.  They were originally fitted with self-drilling screws, but self-tappers are fine.  You might want to pack the holes with matchsticks to give the screws some grip.