Author Topic: Water in rudder  (Read 1594 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Water in rudder
« on: October 30 2022, 21:08 »
During the last time when I took the boat out of the water, I noticed that water had accumulated in the rudde,  this happens every year when taking the boat out of the water, I drilled a hole in the bottom of rudder, drained the water, waited two days, plugged the hole with  epoxy putty and that's it, because I didn't have time for a complete solution.

This year I would prepare, and coat the entire surface of the rudder with something or laminate it with glass canvas.

What you think, is this will solve it?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Watter in rudder
« Reply #1 on: October 30 2022, 21:55 »
It’s a common fault. I had found water in the rudder when blisters started appearing. I built a stand and inverted the rudder and water started escaping from between the rudder stock and the fiberglass blade. It spent months inverted in a small room with a dehumidifier going non stop, but the damage to the fiberglass skin was done and its been damage control ever since. To stop water ingress I created a small channel in the fiber glass and a matching channel in the spacer. I used very strong adhesive sealing mastic used in car body assembly and it’s now one solid seal that has stopped further water penetration from that weak spot. But as I said earlier the damage to the fiberglass was done several years ago when the boat was new. My next step, l hope one day, will be to ship the s/s rudder stock to Jefa for a rebuild!
To get back to Marioxp’s comment I don’t think sea water permeates through the fiberglass skin itself in that quantity.  Marioxp didn’t mention if he found osmotic blistering either...

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 31 2022, 08:57 »
Once the water is out (a vacuum pump got lots more out of the foam once it no longer drips out), sealing around the rudder stock keeps new water from entering. Jefa has instructions here: https://www.jefa.com/ftp/rudder/maintenance/Rudder_blade_anti_fouling_instructions.pdf
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: October 31 2022, 15:23 »
Hi Yngmar. I sure wish Bavaria read those instructions before they built my boat. It would have saved me so many hours of distressing work and the huge expense of a probable rudder rudder replacement in the near future 😭 There was never any sign of any sealant at all!

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31 2022, 16:19 »
I think those instructions are the result of those experiences. Boat manufacturers learn the hard way too, just like all of us ;-)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 02 2022, 19:33 »
Thank you for advising.

Do I have to remove rudder to apply Sikaflex? Is it complicate to remove rudder?

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 02 2022, 20:06 »
Remove,check also lower bearing house and change both bearings.
Remove rudder is not complicate, but be sure you have enough room under the boat to lower rudder.

Yngmar

• Administrator
Re: Water in rudder
« Reply #7 on: November 02 2022, 20:53 »
You have to drop the rudder, not necessarily remove it entirely. Dropping the rudder is not difficult. Remove the quadrant, autopilot drive and rudder position sensor (if any) and the top nut, while supporting the rudder with a block below (some prefer to use a rope from above). Then you can gently lower it until it reaches the ground, which gives you enough access at the top to grind out the groove around the stock and fill it with sealant. Inspect the stock and the bearings while you're at it.