Author Topic: The solar panel behaves strangely  (Read 1092 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
The solar panel behaves strangely
« on: September 13 2022, 21:34 »
I recently installed a solar panel, I use a Victron solar charger 75/15. Before, when I turned off the main switch, everything would be turned off. After installing the solar panel, after I turn off the main switch, the lights on the switches still light up, but solar charger no longer charges the battery (I can see this on the battery monitor). If I cover the solar panel with a towel, then the lights glow dimly, if I disconnect the solar panel, then everything is as before. The solar panel is connected to the Victron charger which is connected, the positive wire to the 120A fuse just after the battery, the negative wire is connected to the negative bar located behind the switch panel. This means that the main switch never disconnects the Victron charger from the battery. Why is this happening?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: The solar panel behaves strangely
« Reply #1 on: September 13 2022, 22:38 »
Because you connected the solar charger to the boat side of the main switch (the bus bar). Move it over to the battery side instead (connect it to the battery bank - with an appropriate fuse of course).

The way it's currently connected, the main switch disconnects the battery (negative usually) from the boat, but the solar charger is a power source as long as there's any daylight, and so it continues to supply the boat (but not the batteries).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: September 14 2022, 08:13 »
Yngmar is correct, although it's best to connect directly to the battery bank to avoid losses.
i.e. Solar Panels -  Regulator- Fuse(we use a circuit breaker instead) - Main Battery Bank.........Bill.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 14 2022, 08:26 »
Yngmar is correct, although it's best to connect directly to the battery bank to avoid losses.
i.e. Solar Panels -  Regulator- Fuse(we use a circuit breaker instead) - Main Battery Bank.........Bill.

Yes, my positive wire is connect like you describe.

But, this is the first I hear that there is a minus wire coming to the main switch. I always thought there was a plus wire coming to main switch.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: September 14 2022, 17:41 »

But, this is the first I hear that there is a minus wire coming to the main switch. I always thought there was a plus wire coming to main switch.

Both +ve and -ve should be connected directly to the Main Battery Bank (Via the Regulator and Fuse).
As far as I understand it there should be no connections to the Main Isolator Switch.....Hope that helps.....Bill.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 14 2022, 19:36 »

[/quote]

That is correct for a boat of that year, located under the chart table - it was the way that Bavaria wired all boats. Does not mean it is a good thing, although it does achieve the objective of isolating the batteries from the circuits they feed. I converted mine to a more modern switch cluster with individual isolators and a VSR, doing away with the original splitter. The isolators ae in the positive but I left the original in place and through the key away (metaphorically)