Author Topic: 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser roof hatch damp ingress action?  (Read 945 times)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Hi all,

I’ve seen some discolouration on a corner of my saloon roof hatch (see pic), which looks like damp ingress.

I’m also attaching an external pic of the corresponding corner, where there’s nothing apparent, and a pic of the hatch cover to show the type. The seal around the underside of the cover feels flexible.

The boat is 2010 so 12 years old, has had low use and kept in a dry climate (Spain), although not under cover off season.

What is the likeliest cause and what do you recommend as the best course of action?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser roof hatch damp ingress action?
« Reply #1 on: August 07 2022, 08:18 »
Yes, it does look like a wee leak... It's happened to us and the only permanent solution was to unscrew the frame, clean the mating surfaces and re-seal with a good quality silicone (not bathroom sealant).
When screwing the frame back down it's quite important not to initially fully tighten the screws, best to wait until it's cured then give the last quarter turn...
Not a difficult job, although often the biggest issue will be breaking the frame away from the old sealant...
Good luck.....Bill.

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser roof hatch damp ingress action?
« Reply #2 on: August 09 2022, 11:33 »
Thanks for that.

I hadn't seen this previously, and it may have pre-existed, but I suspect it is from the thunderstorm that caught us out with all hatches and lights open a few weeks ago. A few books got trashed.

I'll put pencil marks on the stain and monitor over the off season. If it deteriorates I'll do as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Adam