Author Topic: 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser emergency tiller doesn't fit rudder stock  (Read 1287 times)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Hi all,

We had one of those days yesterday, generating a number of issues. Potentially the most serious for other owners is that we discovered the emergency tiller on our 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser doesn't fit the rudder stock.

Simply, it is too wide to go into the rudder stock fitting. There were two of us on board, myself & my son, 21. We ended up trying to drive it in with a 2.5lb mallet. But all we succeeded in doing was putting a burr on the inside of the neck of the rudder stock fitting.

***So check your emergency tiller fits the rudder stock***

On further inspection, we discovered the grub screw on the wheel shaft had dropped out after a technician fitted an autopilot, so I fixed it temporarily. That's probably worth checking for other owners too, because the boat suddenly pirouetting under power was disconcerting to say the least.

Is this a past issue that there's a ready remedy for? If so, please tell.

Otherwise do I get a workshop to machine the tiller/ream the fitting??

The emergency tiller was in its designated spot in the cockpit locker so I'm pretty sure it's the standard item, and looked unused (I only bought the boat in Nov 21 so she's still fairly new to me). If this is a manufacturing issue, then clearly Bavaria should do something about it.

Kr,

Adam

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Did not have that problem on my 2015 33 - essentially the same design and I assume the same tiller arrangement.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Ours fits fine too, and of course I tried that before going to sea  ;)

At which point I noticed the pin to secure it was missing, so I got a new one and attached it to the tiller with some string. I also keep the tiller lashed to the stern pushpit, so it can be deployed without having to excavate half the stern locker first. In case of emergency, cut the lashings and pop it on.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
Nice. So it appears that the burr must have been pre-existing because once we filed it away, the tiller fit.

Worth test-fitting if only to know how to grab and use in a tight spot.

symphony2

• Old Salt
Yes, on the check list of new boat handover, but of course gets forgotten down the line as there are much more exciting things to think about!

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
''On further inspection, we discovered the grub screw on the wheel shaft had dropped out''

Can you  give more details about the grub screw? how big is it and where it is situated?

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
Hi,

I THINK it's a grub screw. Whatever was there it's in the deep now, and we replaced it with a grub screw from a hardware store, which we lined up with a groove in the shaft, although that meant the wheel is now in a new position. Attaching a pic so you can see where it was....whatever it was.

Thoughts?

symphony2

• Old Salt
That is a modification to extend the length of the shaft so that your wheel pilot can fit between the wheel and the binnacle. There are other ways of fitting the wheel pilot but they require modifications to the binnacle.