Author Topic: What spare parts do you have on board - which ones should I get?  (Read 3338 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
I'm curious what you guys have on board in regards to spare parts?

* Impeller
* Raw sea water pump
* Oil filter
* Diesel pre-filters
* Fan belt
* Pulleys
* Shackles

Are there recommendations for stuff I should get that could potentially save a vacation?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
About 2 tons of tools, parts and supplies!  :kewl

But then we're not on vacation :)

Let's see what would be useful for saving a vacation:

Underwater epoxy putty (Plumbing supplier)
Electric tools, including a box of crimp terminals and proper pliers (not the two-dimensional ones, those are worse than twisting wires together). Multimeter of course. Oh, and a set of WAGO terminals.
IR Thermometer gun, so many uses (troubleshoot fridge, engine, body temperature, etc)
Tube of adhesive sealant + gun
Some butyl tape/blutack
Bits of rope of various diameters
Hose clamps
Small inverter
Battery drill
Saw
Epoxy, the type that comes in a double-chambered syringe, and some cups and stir-sticks, for fixing/glueing small stuff.
Epoxy, half a litre of resin and hardener and some glass mat for fixing larger stuff.
A spare freshwater pump to swap in.
A spare toilet pump to swap in.
Silicone grease
Sandpaper
Dinghy patch kit
Spark plug for outboard
Sewing kit

And lots more :))
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Now that I see your list I notice that most of this stuff is also on my boat :-)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
To the list provided byy Yngmar I would add (learnt from experiece)

1. Complete sea water engine cooling pump
2. Spare autopilot (complete)
3 spare gear/throttle cables
4 engine and geabox oil
5. antifreeze

I have many others on board but I can't think I have every used them and probably never will. They just fill lockers and bilges!

Krumelur

• Old Salt
--> spare gear/throttle cables

This ^ is an excellent idea! I have immediately contacted SVB and a VP dealer to find the right lengths/type.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Just burnt out a regulator on my alternator which then blew the solar panel controller. Going to add an alternator to the list. Good list so far guys.
2005 36’

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Just did a quick check: original VP alternator for a D2 is €1.200 and the version from SVB is €230 😳
I seriously doubt VP is building their own alternators.

Yngmar

• Administrator
Spare alternator is a good idea. Last I checked for a friend's boat the D2-55 (I think, don't remember which engine) had Mitsubishi alternators, which cost around 200 EUR without the green paint.

Spare throttle/gearshift cable is a also good. We have ours in place, zip-tied to the ones in active use, so the ends can be swapped over if one breaks (won't save you from crashing into the dock when it happens though!).

Also, fuses! A spare or two for every type aboard.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Another part I just remembered having on board: a spare prop. Losing a prop is likely one of the most annoying things.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Add:
Starting motor and domestic water pum

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
And Not To forget a lot of masking tape and a bucket of antifouling to paint the more of draught 😎🤪

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Just did a quick check: original VP alternator for a D2 is €1.200 and the version from SVB is €230 😳
I seriously doubt VP is building their own alternators.

When I cleaned my heat exchanger I lost one of the 4 big "O" rings. Went the VP £64 for the set (they don't do them individually! Needed to get engine back together as launch date was soon.

captpatrick211

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
Very helpful string everyone - thank you!!!

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Spare steering cables? I need to replace mine as they are the originals - going to keep the old ones stashed on board just in case...

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Every type of tape known to man!! 😬 self amalgamating, electrical,duct, sail repair………and the rest

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Ah, and many, many sorts of grease. Silicone grease for the windows and other rubber things, white lithium grease, winch grease for, err winches, dielectric grease for electrical connections, PTFE special grease for the steering cables... I'm sure I've missed some...  ::)... then there are the light oils and cleaners! Winch oil, Silicone spray, WD40, electrical contact cleaner, sailkote (which is as valuable as myrrh!), many, many slippery things...

Yngmar

• Administrator
Ah, and many, many sorts of grease. Silicone grease for the windows and other rubber things, white lithium grease, winch grease for, err winches, dielectric grease for electrical connections, PTFE special grease for the steering cables... I'm sure I've missed some...  ::)... then there are the light oils and cleaners! Winch oil, Silicone spray, WD40, electrical contact cleaner, sailkote (which is as valuable as myrrh!), many, many slippery things...

Silicone grease covers most of these. It's a dielectric grease (in fact it is what dielectric grease is). And it's also what winch grease is these days (used to be calcium grease for some). If you buy Superlube, which is silicone grease with PTFE, you can use one grease for pretty much every job, although it costs a little more that way.

And a tube of blue volvo propshaft grease for the underwater jobs. And some copper grease for hot engine jobs.

I've got a tub of lithium grease, but don't really have much use for it.

And acetone, white spirit, WD40 for the tools, WD40 Fast Release Penetrant for getting old screws/bolts out, cleaning alcohol and a tube of white and black MS polymer sealant, plus a not totally shitty caulk gun.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Not exactly a spare part, but fuel biocide is important to have onboard.  And a decent socket set.  I also have a torque wrench which helps with undoing stubborn fixings.

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
Just looking at the stuff people recommend, it might be wiser to just buy another boat and tow it behind yours, it would free up lots of locker space!  :))  :))

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Why not just tow a spare boat behind you.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
I replaced my 30years old fluke multimeter, which was prone against seawater (don't ask me why i know this  >:() to a multimeter with a dc clamp meter, which price had dropped reasonable the last years. Pretty handy for nearly every electric job, i don't want to miss it.

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
We carry a lot of the above but also an assortment of stainless nuts, bolts, washers, self tappers and split pins.
Also:
Cable ties
Selection of rubber washers and grommets
Spare bulbs for the nav lights
Jump leads
Spare batteries for torches, etc.