Author Topic: Water Tank Leaking  (Read 1394 times)

Paddy Turner

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
Water Tank Leaking
« on: June 06 2022, 16:20 »
I have a water leak on my Bavaria 32 Cruiser. (Definitely fresh water)

If I fill the water tank more than half full the water then drains into the bilge until the tank reaches half full.

I have disconnected and blanked off the system so that I know it is not leaking from the pipes.

It must be leaking from the tank but inspection of the area around the tank shows that it is dry.

I cannot find any path that leads water from what must be a leaking tank to the main bilge just forward of the companion way.

Any ideas?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Water Tank Leaking
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2022, 17:46 »
Ours have leaked from the sender (fixed with Butyl tape and a new metal nut instead of the always cracked plastic original) and from the inspection lid. Never from the tank itself.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Paddy Turner

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2022, 17:35 »
Its not the sender.

The tank leaks until half full and then stops.

The problem is that the tank is isolated from the pipework and no water appears in the tank compartment. Only in the main bilge by the companion way..

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 07 2022, 19:11 »
That suggests a split in the side of the tank halfway up. Alternatively the filler entry could be lower than the top of the main tank as it is with some fuel tanks so suggest you check the hose where it enters the tank.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 07 2022, 22:56 »
I had an identical problem with my B32, turned out to be a minute leak in the coupling between the tank and pump. Identified eventually by laying talc powder everywhere.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
« Reply #5 on: June 10 2022, 08:22 »
I've seen a leak on a B36 at the entry of the filling hose to the tank, where a small hidden crack at the gland was.