Author Topic: Raymarine "Drive Stopped" error  (Read 5751 times)

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Raymarine "Drive Stopped" error
« on: August 09 2013, 17:08 »
A new problem! Today my ST6002 SmartPilot stopped working - when "engaged", after a couple of minutes doing nothing, it displays the error message "Drive Stopped". The explanation in the manual is unhelpful (to me at least!) so any ideas would be gratefully received.

It's the S1 unit.  The rudder position sensor appears fine (in that the unit registers where the rudder is); the rudder is not fouled and the wheel turns easily by hand. When autopilot is engaged there is no difference in the resistance when the wheel is manually turned. Looking from underneath, as it were, there seems no attempt to move the rudder when the autohelm buttons are pushed.

I've read that sometimes the bushes can "stick" - I've located where I think the drive unit is (inside the instrument pod attached off centre to the wheel) and gently tapped it to no avail.

As ever, any suggestions gratefully received!

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
Re: Raymarine "Drive Stopped" error
« Reply #1 on: August 09 2013, 20:39 »
If it's a Lewmar linear drive motor it could be that the clutches in the motor have gone. You need to contact their customer services but I had to replace the complete motor unit when I got that error message :-[ . They claim the motor is now much improved and having used it extensively last year can agree with them!

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: August 10 2013, 08:50 »
Thanks, Dawntreader. Showing my ignorance here - I had assumed that the drive unit would also be Raymarine (there's a grey plastic circle concentric within the circle of the wheel that is stamped Raymarine with what I presume is the drive unit located off centre attached to this inner circle. Oh, I wish I knew more technical terms!)

It looks a devil of a thing to remove - do you have any tips?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #3 on: August 14 2013, 08:32 »
OK, You have a wheel drive - different to mine which is a motor located within the steering mechanism and controlled by a chain. Sorry, not able to offer any advice on your one.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 14 2013, 14:22 »
auto-helm ring removal, ring me 07931736582 rgds Ray, ive done this a few times!

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: August 16 2013, 15:48 »
Thanks, Ray - that's a kind offer. I was stuck for a while in Brodick and missed your post, so whiled away the time giving it a go - managed to access the wheel drive once I'd worked out I needed to take the wheel off..! The pop-fitting on the grey ring was stiff, but access to the motor through the instrument pod was an exercise in spelunking. Still, at least I now know that the motor is kaput! Perhaps it's time to upgrade to their newer unit...

Dawntreader, apologies for not making that clear, and thanks for your suggestions. I'd not even realised that there were different types of wheeldrives!