Author Topic: New build quality  (Read 5593 times)

KWB

• Swab
New build quality
« on: July 31 2013, 05:29 »
Any new Bav owners, last 6 months. Comments on the build quality coming out of the factory.
Our Vision 42 is due for delivery December here in Australia.
Interested in any common build faults so I can be pre-armed what to look for.

Cheers
KWB

Vjs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: New build quality
« Reply #1 on: August 06 2013, 20:54 »
Hello kwb
Bought our new 36 in July, finally got handover on 18 December last year
Got to say that there are no real  issues with the boat itself, my issues were with the arseholes who sold it to me
Horror story, was not fun and ended up paying a solicitor £1500 to get them to do the warranty jobs
Clipper marine were the brokers and I would not recommend anyone to use them.
Doesn't affect you but don't give them all the money until you are completely happy
Bavaria are no better, emailed them twice and got no reply
Hope you don't have the issues we had but don't give them the upper hand, hold onto the last bit of money for as long as you can, they will soon move their useless arses when they want their money
Worthless b$?_}ards salesmen who talk a bit posh on about twenty grand a year who look down on people like me because I get my hands dirty for a living
I earn 1 0 times what they do and my money is as good as theirs
Sooner the snobbery comes out of sailing the better
Good luck with the new boat

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 06 2013, 21:31 »
We have a 2011 36.  We took delivery of it in early 2012 as an ex demo.  Another UK boat through clipper (who are the UK importers), but prepared by another dealer.   We have no real issues.  A leaking shower pipe - dead easy to do.  A few very minor things that were all easy to fix.  The new visions look fantastic and I am sure you will be fine and be very happy - congrats on the boat.

Andy Bav

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 39 Sport
« Reply #3 on: August 17 2013, 09:10 »
We took delivery of 39 Sport (motor boat) and couldn't be happier with Clipper and the boat. 2 minor snags sorted within 24 hours, was a leaking shower (already mentioned) and a leaking transome shower. Apparently the latter is a common "fault" but was rectified easily. Have a bit of an issue with calorifier working in shore power but something we are keeping an eye on and have flagged. As for build quality, having compared to other makes we are very happy.

psmart2000

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Avantgarde
« Reply #4 on: September 30 2013, 21:54 »
Hi KWB,
I had a problem with the door hinges to the heads, four little screws(17mm) to hold the door on, OK if you just sit on the moorings but watch out if sailing in weather, leant against the door in a swell and it fell off completely, couldn't believe what was holding it on. I've seen bigger screws on a doll's house.
Also had a couple of windows fail insofar as the glass separated from the hinges, no good if sailing as water is obviously going to get in if no windows.
Good luck with the new boat.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: October 01 2013, 11:24 »
Hi KWB,
I had a problem with the door hinges to the heads, four little screws(17mm) to hold the door on, OK if you just sit on the moorings but watch out if sailing in weather, leant against the door in a swell and it fell off completely, couldn't believe what was holding it on. I've seen bigger screws on a doll's house.
Also had a couple of windows fail insofar as the glass separated from the hinges, no good if sailing as water is obviously going to get in if no windows.
Good luck with the new boat.

How did you fix the doors?  New hinges and screws or just meatier screws back in?  We have not had anything like this (yet). The windows/portholes on ours are standard Lewmar plastic ones I think as used on many boats.   How did the windows fail - was it just by shutting and opening or did a wave hit them?

psmart2000

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Avantgarde
« Reply #6 on: October 01 2013, 11:48 »
Added extra hinges and bigger screws to the door, not had an issue since. As for the windows, just opened them for cleaning and they fell off the hinges, they are not Lewmar but "Moonlight" windows where the hinges are "glued" or bonded to the glass.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: October 17 2013, 00:11 »
Added extra hinges and bigger screws to the door, not had an issue since. As for the windows, just opened them for cleaning and they fell off the hinges, they are not Lewmar but "Moonlight" windows where the hinges are "glued" or bonded to the glass.

Ah OK, thanks for that.