Author Topic: No longer a Bavaria owner  (Read 1501 times)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
No longer a Bavaria owner
« on: March 10 2022, 10:32 »
For the first time for 21 years as of today I am no longer a Bavaria owner. Mixed feelings as I really enjoyed owning them, first the 37 in Corfu and back to UK and since 2015 the 33 Cruiser. Buying them both new was an exciting experience, the first because it was through a charter management contract and I had to pay in DMs (remember them?) and then later taking full ownership including dealing with the VAT and removal from the Greek register. Deciding to buy the 33 was a big gamble as I was going through a complex medical issue and was not sure how long I had to go, so buying the boat was a way of maximising the pleasure out of what might have been a relatively short life. I got a fantastic deal with Bavaria and Clipper which included taking my 37 in part exchange. The 37 moved on very quickly and sold to a delightful family who took her back to the Med.

So, why am I selling? Prime mover is that unlike 2015 I now have a much more certain future following a kidney transplant in late 2016 and I have had a lot of fun sailing the 33 up and down the coast, but it is so "perfect" that there is little I can do to improve it, and I enjoy the work on boats, particularly now I am more capable of doing the work. So I have fulfilled a lifelong ambition and bought a 1979 Golden Hind, similar to my old 26' version only 31'. My first cross channel sail was in a GH and I knew the builder at the time. It left good memories. I have had it since November and originally I was going to keep the 33 for another year while I did my refurb, but the current high prices prompted me to put it on the market just before Christmas. Got a buyer, the second to view at almost full asking price. Little bit of a delay in completing because we agreed that I would get certain small items fixed first. biggest hold up was getting the wind transducer repaired and then the weather to go up the mast to fit it. Anyhow that was fixed finally on Monday and the new owner will get as close to a new boat as it is possible to buy and at 70% of the cost of a new 34!

The broker I used, Peter Keats was a broker at Clipper and sold me the boat originally and I can recommend him to anybody wanting to sell a Bavaria as he really knows the boats and is super efficient at the paperwork and ensuring that the transaction goes smoothly. Finding potential buyers in the current environment is relatively easy. Turning them into actual buyers with minimum  hassle is where a broker earns his keep.

I shall keep an eye on this forum as I enjoy participating and hope that I can continue to make a useful contribution.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: No longer a Bavaria owner
« Reply #1 on: March 10 2022, 11:03 »
Well done, and I hope you have lots of enjoyment working on the Golden Hind.  I'm toying with the idea of selling my 2014 Cruiser 37, as my old knees are gradually limiting my mobility!

Many thanks for all your well-considered forum contributions (here and elsewhere) and it's good to hear that you'll still be around.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: March 10 2022, 11:41 »
Hi Sympathy2,

I felt bound to reply, as your advice has assisted me greatly since I bought my 32 in July 2019.   Also we have apparently shared quite similar experiences.   I started sailing in my teens and I am now approaching 84.   I bought an old cotton sail Enterprise dinghy which did not measure and carefully altered her so she did and I could race her.  Later I built and raced three fireball dinghy’s and in the sixties changed to my beloved Legend 34 her latter fifteen  years sailed in the Ionian.   My partner and I took  her from the East coast of the UK down the French canals (we took a whole Summer doing this which was very different from the cruising of the UK, the Netherlands and the North and West coasts of France where we had previously cruised).   I have found your mention of Govia Marina and other parts of Greece interesting because I had visited all of those places too.

I hope you have lots of enjoyment on your Golden Hind and wish you all the very best in your future sailing.

Chris.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: March 11 2022, 08:32 »
Congrats on your Golden Hind, use her in good health.  And, many thanks for your contributions.  I'm hoping we'll still see them on a very regular basis.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: March 12 2022, 08:43 »
Good luck for the future aboard the Golden Hind and hopefully you can look forward to better health...
Over the years that I've been on this forum you've demonstrated a vast knowledge of all things maritime and Bavaria...And that has been to the benefit of us all..
So, please remain a regular contributor to the forums pool of expertise, as you'll always be regarded as a 'virtual' Bavaria owner......Bill.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: June 07 2022, 22:25 »
Hi Symphony2 and everyone else...
Well, it's been a long time since I last posted here; life and the Covid restrictions have kept me apart from my beloved Figaro for nigh-on 3 years so I too have just sold up. There didn't seem much point in keeping a floating man-cave that didn't get used so  I asked a local agent down to view in March while she was out of the water. His words - "she's immaculate" ( covered in dust, muck and open paint tins!) - I thought he was just being enthusiastic but a couple of weeks later, he bought her privately for himself and his family. The whole thing took less than 10 days start to finish and she's gone, just like that. Anyone know how to fill the black hole that's left?
I understand we're all getting older, etc., but (unless you are replacing), think carefully before you sign on the dotted line... selling Fig is the biggest mistake I've ever made, even if I was getting a bit doddery.
Warmest regards everyone, this is still the best forum I've ever used and with the nicest and most knowledgeable people anyone could wish for.
I'll be dipping in frequently. Stay safe.
ATB
Mark :0)
ATB

Mark

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: June 09 2022, 06:55 »
Mark,

Best of luck and fair winds.  Keep checking in for sure!  Thanks for contributing.

Brad
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA