Author Topic: Raymarine 54E VHF radio fault  (Read 3278 times)

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Raymarine 54E VHF radio fault
« on: July 29 2013, 07:21 »
I have a problem with the internal speaker on the VHF radio, there's no sound coming out, Ive tried resetting to manufactures default but still nothing, have to listen to the external speaker which is not ideal, any thoughts

Stevie

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Raymarine 54E VHF radio fault
« Reply #1 on: March 06 2014, 14:06 »
I guess nobody has any ideas, is it still failed?
I also have a problem with the same model - a really loud whine when receiving unless the volume is kept quite low. By un mounting it and resting it on the corner console at the nav station on my Bav 39 the whine stops. Unfortunately as soon as I pick it up to remount in the bracket it starts again.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 06 2014, 14:41 »
aerial cable may need shielding, black art this, years ago we had similar problems with light aircraft radios picking up interference from other instruments, also you can buy beads that clip over cables to deal with this, not sure what they are called though. A good elec techy will know what to do.

Bit of luck somebody on the forum will know the answers

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 07 2014, 13:42 »
Not managed to have a close look at it yet, last time I was down it was rudder bearing to sort out, this time on my leave it'll be getting relaunched and then strip down the radio.
If I can sort it I'll probably install it outside in the cockpit area and buy a new one for replacement inside.

Stevie