Author Topic: cockpit combing teak  (Read 1204 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
cockpit combing teak
« on: February 12 2022, 11:53 »
 I have a centre cockpit layout with teak faced ply on the combing and next  to  the main hatch. Its stood up  pretty well against the elements  but at the entrance exit points at the side foot traffic has worn the veneer completely away. I am wondering how best to  fix this - its a cosmetic problem. I could overlay the worn ply with some non-slip covering (what material) - how would that look? Or should I rernew the whole lot - Thought about laying solid teak planks on top - not sure that's worth the expense and trouble. Any experience ideas?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: cockpit combing teak
« Reply #1 on: February 13 2022, 10:18 »
Had a look at the 47 Ocean cockpit. Bit different from our 40 Ocean. We also have those large teak ply panels under the windscreen (bit pointless IMHO - I varnished and then covered them to keep out of the sun), but they don't connect to the coaming. The coaming is solid teak, several cm thick.

Replacing with teak/iroko is probably not worth the expense and if that's an area that gets stepped on a lot it won't be great either.

We tried some brown EVA foam (with teak stripes - a mistake) and it fell apart after 2 years - just removed the last bit. So unless you want to replace it regularly (it's cheap), that's not great either.

Lastly there's PVC fake teak as is sometimes used to replace teak decks, but the fake look will clash with all the real teak around it.

So in your case, I'd probably truncate the ply panels at the point where they leave the sprayhood and get stepped on, remove what's left of the worn bits aft, fill and fair top off with with non-skid paint for wear resistance and ease of maintenance.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 13 2022, 12:13 »
I could overlay the worn ply with some non-slip covering (what material) - how would that look?

Treadmaster Smooth Pattern works well on coamings, I had some on a previous boat.

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: February 13 2022, 19:58 »
Treadmaster smooth looks like a possibility - its self adhesive but how well does it stick? Only 2mm thick so  should butt up  to  the rest of the teak without much  fairing  and fawn seems a compatible colour. Size 3 pads  seems about right. Anyone used this product and with what results?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 13 2022, 20:47 »
Treadmaster smooth looks like a possibility - its self adhesive but how well does it stick? Only 2mm thick so  should butt up  to  the rest of the teak without much  fairing  and fawn seems a compatible colour. Size 3 pads  seems about right. Anyone used this product and with what results?

I'd avoid the self-adhesive version - just go with the regular stuff and glue it on properly with Treadmaster adhesive.