Author Topic: engine data access  (Read 922 times)

Osprey

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
engine data access
« on: January 14 2022, 10:48 »
I am aware of EVC and easy connect, but I have a 2001 Bavaria 34 with a MD2020, which is not compatible I believe.

I have already wired in a new engine hours display to near the chart table as the original one at the binnacle is only visible in warm dry weather.

Is it possible to wire into the connector behind the engine control panel at the binnacle to access e.g. coolant temperature, revs, etc?  I have a new Axiom chartplotter that could display data if I could link it up, or I could just have a simple temperature display for coolant temp.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: engine data access
« Reply #1 on: January 14 2022, 13:16 »
It seems, you don't have a MDI unit, which would be pretty easy (but never cheap, it's a Volvo >:D) to connect to a NMEA2000 network.
If you feel the need to see the engine data, there are several interface units on the market, which can convert analog signals (coolant temp,..) to NMEA without an VP MDI unit.
To achieve this, you would need appropriate sensors on your engine. If you need e.g. coolant temperature, you need an analog sensor, and not only a temperature alarm switch sensor. If you do not have the right sensor type fitted on your engine, you can replace them with the approriate ones (these are relatively cheap aftermarket parts, if you don't source them from VP). You only have to mind the exact size of the thread of the sensor. Wiring all this together and programming the stuff is a complex job and the interface unit alone will be some 100 euros. So as many other boat projects, much time and money to spend!

Osprey

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: engine data access
« Reply #2 on: January 14 2022, 22:09 »
Thanks for this, I somehow knew it would not be easy.