Author Topic: No forward gear  (Read 1659 times)

Abandon Office

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 C
  • Boat Year: 2004
No forward gear
« on: December 31 2021, 15:46 »
I was performing a man overboard drill this morning and had the engine in reverse up to the buoy and then when selecting forward gear the engine stopped. I was able to restart but could only remain in neutral or reverse gear....called for a tow back to port and the prop was checked by snorkeling under but all was clear.
Anybody have any suggestions before I engage with engineer

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: No forward gear
« Reply #1 on: December 31 2021, 21:01 »
Disconnect the control cable from the gearbox and move the lever on the gearbox manually to see if it's just a broken cable. A broken cable can still push but no longer pull.

If the gearbox works, investigate the control cable (easy to check with one person on the lever and one down below checking the other end). Sometimes also the lever mechanism itself can break too. All three are simple things to test and don't need a engineer. Replacing cable or throttle lever are simple too (although can be a bit fiddly due to space restrictions in the binnacle).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 01 2022, 07:53 »
check the end of the gear cable at the control lever, they can come off, first sign would be like you describe, starting to come loose leaves too much free play in the cable to select forward. followed by stuck in whatever gear its in once it falls off completely.
bad day, don't ask how i know  :-[

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: January 01 2022, 09:19 »
A little concerned that the engine stalled whenever 'Forward' is selected...An issue with the cable shouldn't cause that..
Might be worth engaging 'forward' and then trying to turn the engine by hand to see if it's locked up............Bill.

Abandon Office

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: January 01 2022, 12:51 »
Thanks all for your advice....I have a busy New Year's day ahead of me

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 01 2022, 14:07 »
On my last charter boat there was an issue that allowed the engine to be started even if it wasn't in neutral, which is typically not possible.

Just a theory: could it be that somehow this protection kicks in when you go into forward and shuts off the engine?

Out of curiosity: does anyone know how this protection works? Is it an electric switch/contact?

Abandon Office

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: January 01 2022, 16:17 »
I got a diver this afternoon to inspect the prop and it was a struggle for him to move it even though I had her in neutral. T

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: January 02 2022, 12:28 »
Krumelur as far as i know there is a microswitch in the control lever box that stops the starter working, i.e. a neutral switch, but this would only stop the starter engaging so the boat cant start, and wouldn't cause the engine to shut down,( it would cut out every time you went into gear and only run in neutral )

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 04 2022, 12:01 »
I see. Curious to learn what the issue in the poster's case is. I hope it's not going to be too expensive :-(