Author Topic: LEWMAR Gasket for Hatches  (Read 1965 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
LEWMAR Gasket for Hatches
« on: December 06 2021, 20:51 »
Dear,

I have Bavaria 36 (2003), boat is not nearby me.

Is any option that I can determine which type of Lewmar gasket I need, low profile or medium profile?

I have few pictures.

SVB24 sell Lewmar gasket by meter, how can glue two ends of gasket together?
https://www.svb24.com/en/lewmar-gasket-for-low-profile-hatches.html
https://www.svb24.com/en/lewmar-gasket-for-medium-profile-hatches.html

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: LEWMAR Gasket for Hatches
« Reply #1 on: December 07 2021, 09:42 »
Cyanoacrylate glue (superglue)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #2 on: December 14 2021, 23:12 »
Hi Marioxp,
This is my first post in this forum. Since I bought my boat (similar age than yours) a few months ago I've been reading this forum and learning a lot from their members and then applying this knowledge to my own case.
Regarding your question I can tell you my own experience. I had two types of problems with my hatches: crazed acrylic and one of them had broken the gasket.
So, after reading and watching a lot of videos I decided to buy the gasket by meter.
To join both ends you can use  Superglue-3 with activator as Yngmar has said but that's not the problem.
The problem is finding the right length of the perimeter, because if you calculate the perimeter as the sum of the sides the result is very "bulky" and you won't be able to insert the acrylic into the frames and you will brake the gasket as I did.
On the other hand if it's too short the gasket won't fit around the acrylic.
So unless someone tells you exactly the distance I will recommend you to try to fix the old gasket with super glue if you just need to join the ends or other type of glue made out of rubber if it's a hole or a crack.

I don't know how to send a picture yet but I will try to learn to show you my experience.

Good luck!

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #3 on: December 18 2021, 22:40 »
Hi Marioxp,
This is my first post in this forum. Since I bought my boat (similar age than yours) a few months ago I've been reading this forum and learning a lot from their members and then applying this knowledge to my own case.
Regarding your question I can tell you my own experience. I had two types of problems with my hatches: crazed acrylic and one of them had broken the gasket.
So, after reading and watching a lot of videos I decided to buy the gasket by meter.
To join both ends you can use  Superglue-3 with activator as Yngmar has said but that's not the problem.
The problem is finding the right length of the perimeter, because if you calculate the perimeter as the sum of the sides the result is very "bulky" and you won't be able to insert the acrylic into the frames and you will brake the gasket as I did.
On the other hand if it's too short the gasket won't fit around the acrylic.
So unless someone tells you exactly the distance I will recommend you to try to fix the old gasket with super glue if you just need to join the ends or other type of glue made out of rubber if it's a hole or a crack.

I don't know how to send a picture yet but I will try to learn to show you my experience.

Good luck!

Thank you, for advice. I will try to glue old rubber, because I saw crack in rubber like old connection point don't hold anymore. Second reason why I will try with glue is that I can't order gasket because I don't know is gasket low or medium profile any chance to check it is to visit my boat, in that visit I will have enough time to try glue it.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2021, 23:21 »
Hi Marioxp,

It's a long time since I don't write in forums so I forgot completely how to insert a pdf but if you send me a pm with your e mail address I can send you the catalog from Lewmar with all the reference of our hatches and portlights, but the short answer to your question is your hatch is a Low Profile model, so the reference of the gasket/seal should start with 36086XXXX