Author Topic: extractable bowsprit for BV44 DIY  (Read 1995 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
extractable bowsprit for BV44 DIY
« on: November 21 2021, 13:29 »
Hi to all , I am in the process of making it . It consists in an aluminium tube , 80mm out-70mm in , 1.38m long , attached on my second anchor bowsprit ( I have modified it in the past so it can carry 2 anchors ) .

My question is , at the very end of the pole , where the tack of the asymmetrical will fit , should I just put a m10 pad eye , or something like a dyneema loop , so it embraces the whole tube section ? Will the holes of the pad have major impact on the tube ?

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: extractable bowsprit for BV44 DIY
« Reply #1 on: November 21 2021, 14:59 »
Just a word of warning we have a bow sprit for a asymmetric attached to our spare bow roller and it started to lift the deck. We solved the problem by modifying the stainless steel forestay tang to hold down the bow roller.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: November 21 2021, 18:09 »
It is one of some of the concerns I have . Mine is holding from 3 bolts that are M10 if I remember correctly and the plate is 3mm . I was thinking to put one extra at the arrow , it would be better to put right under the ring I’m going to put but it can’t go through cause it is at the edge of the deck . So maybe bobstay from the drain holes  or just an extra bolt as close as possible

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: November 21 2021, 20:51 »
An extra bolt into the deck won’t help. You need to fix the deck to the hull or the bowsprit to the hull. A bobstay would work.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 02 2021, 11:22 »
Use a bobstay to hold the end of the bowsprit down. The attached photo is an installation on a French production boat. A hole is drilled through into the bottom of the anchor well, just behind the bow stem. This is sealed with flowcote. The bobstay is a length of dynema spliced through the hole. The other end of the dynema has a sailmakers thimble with lashing to a padeye that is bolted back to back with a padeye on the top for the tack or a friction ring for a tack line. We used the lashing to allow the tension/length of the bobstay to be adjusted.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 02 2021, 11:23 »
An additional note that you do need to support a bit of thrust down the bow sprit. which should not be an issue attached to the bow roller
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009