Author Topic: Bavaria 34 hull area dimensions  (Read 4054 times)

bcenta

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 34 hull area dimensions
« on: July 16 2013, 17:32 »
I'm about to start the process of paint stripping the hull of my boat before priming and applying new anti fouling. Can any one help provide the area dimensions that I would typically need to enable me to work out the volume of materials involved?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 34 hull area dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 16 2013, 23:19 »
If you go on the websites of the major paint providers you will find charts to help you calculate volumes. However AF (and Primers) are usually sold in 2.5, 3 or 5l containers. You won't do one coat with 3, and you won't need all of 5, but you will have enough in 5l to do one full coat and a second coat around the waterline, down the bow and the rudder. I have just done my 37 and used 5l.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 17 2013, 09:45 »
My 36 uses about 5L too - Jotun is about the best I have found.   Over the years of doing this, I have found one of the key things is to prepare the painting surface well - as you are, by the sounds of it, going to do.  As a final preparation, if I am painting over old AF, just before painting, I wipe the whole surface with a liberal amount of AF thinners.  This seems to give a very good key and new paint sticks well.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 17 2013, 13:10 »
Another vote for Jotun (Seaqueen). They do good primer as well, all little more than half the price of the major yachty brands www.smlpaintsandcoatings.co.uk for information and supply.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: July 23 2013, 10:39 »
Must be honest, for over 10 years now I have never used more than 2.5L of AF (Micron UNO) on the B34 and after a quick pressure wash on lifting out the hull is pretty clean.  I have found that the more AF I put on (tried 2 coats one year) I only had to abrade more excess off before repainting at end of year.  I abrade off all old AF with a scouring cloth almost back to primer each year that way I avoid building up a thick layer of old stuff.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 23 2013, 11:05 »
And another vote for Jotun, I have used Jotun for 20 years the seaforce 30 is the best, the seaqueen I found not as good, but its more expensive. I have kept my boat in Holland, the Hamble river uk, and France, so it stands the test of different areas.

I use 2.5lt of thinned down on a 38 and its great, I thin it down because its hot when I antifoul. lifted out at the moment and the boat had a slime on it apart from the water line which had green growth for about 4" down.

I do not antifoul every year, just do around the waterline. This time it has lasted 3 seasons.

Uk is the worst area especially the Hamble river.

Odysseus

Odysseus