Author Topic: Experience with top down furler from Kemp sails  (Read 1274 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Experience with top down furler from Kemp sails
« on: October 26 2021, 18:00 »
Hi to all ,
I recently bought a second hand top down furler . It was from an Oyster 60’ , made from Kemp sails. Does anybody has a similar so we can exchange information ?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Experience with top down furler from Kemp sails
« Reply #1 on: October 27 2021, 22:33 »
Yes, I have one. Have you bought the whole kit - sail, torque rope and Selden furler? If so then it will only work on your boat if the luff length is exactly the same as the boat it came from. The torque rope and sail is custom made for each installation and getting the length right is critical.

I shall actually be at Kemps tomorrow (Thursday), so if you have any questions you want to ask then I am leaving homr about 10am UK time and will check here before I go. The person to speak to there is Owain Peters as he is probably the person who designed the sail for the original owner.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 27 2021, 22:46 »
Hi , thanks a lot !
I bought the whole kit , top swivel , anti torsion rope , furler ( it didn’t have any selden tags ), furling line and blocks . The tack swivel is not located on the furler disc , but on the rope as in the picture . I contacted them and Owain answered . It seems that my model is over 10year old . I have a spinnaker rather small ( 13.9m SLU) but I ll test it in spring when my DIY BOWSPRIT will be ready and the boat back into the water.

1. Is your top swivel very heavy ? Mine must be more than 1 kg , and it doesn’t turns very freely ( it might needs proper lubrication
2 . Why it has 2 tack swivels located on the torsional rope and not in the disc like the rest in the market ?

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 28 2021, 12:30 »
Yours is a different design from mine.

Have spoken to Owain and he understands now about adjusting the length. Expect you will have an email from him now. Hope it all works out.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 28 2021, 14:13 »
Thanks for your support ! I have to say also that I am amazed that Kemp sails answered to a guy that bought a used product of them …!

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 28 2021, 14:57 »
Nice people. I was one of Rob's first customers when he started 30 years ago! They make excellent sails.

Chit Chat

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 30 2021, 16:12 »
Endorse that. Good company to deal with