Author Topic: Rubber seal for fixed skylight  (Read 2292 times)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Rubber seal for fixed skylight
« on: October 06 2021, 09:49 »
My fixed skylights are slightly leaking. Not sure if between grp and aluminium frame or frame and acrylic. To prepare the repair job (ripping out the window) i'm looking where to get the rubber seal between acrylic and the aluminium frames in advance. Skylight seems to be a lewmar one.
Any suggestions?

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Rubber seal for fixed skylight
« Reply #1 on: October 06 2021, 09:54 »
you are not the only one with this problem. I Heard several times of it.
But every time I heard was the problem not between the acrylic and the all frame. it was between all and grp.

butyl is the think to fix it. if you search here you will find abvice

marblo75

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 07 2021, 08:45 »
Thanks, that's it!!! :tbu

marblo75

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 08 2021, 19:24 »
I would appreciate if you could write here about how you worked this out and what result did you get.
Br
Martin

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #5 on: October 09 2021, 06:49 »
I have the same problem! Has anyone used the Lewmar seal reference LE361795999? (See Marblo75 6/10/21). In the close up image on the website it looks like a straight length of complex section packing material rather than a shaped seal.  I doubt will remain waterproof once it is twisted around the very tight angles of the skylights.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 11 2021, 07:20 »
I ordered that seal and will do the job, hopefully before wintering! I'll will report the results.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #7 on: October 11 2021, 08:10 »
Presently the leak is very minor, in fact even after a heavy downpour, the tiny amount of water that penetrates is easily absorbed in the fabric sun cover underneath the skylight. However the fabric is now water stained and a constant reminder of an unpleasant maintenance job on the to-do list! I look forward to SYJetzt’s next update on this matter :-)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: October 26 2021, 22:08 »
I have had a similar issue. The leak on my Bav 37 was coming from the mounting screws and water tracking down the threads and into the boat. Found it by stripping out the headlining and flooding the window, it had originally rotted the ply to the headlining in that area (that was another fix). I repaired it back backing out the torn screws around the light and wrapping a small amount of butyl tape around the head then screwing it back in, this cured the problem. It has just started again and just been repaired in the same manner with no leak, for some reason it is only on the starboard side which I put down to me standing in that area when I lower and pack the sail and fit the cover. There must be a small amount of flex which is just enough to break teh seal and allow water in.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 02 2021, 10:21 »
Job done  :)!
Ripped the windows out and renewed the rubber seal too.

Leaking came from the foam sealing strips between deck and frame, which were in poor condition and were replaced with butyl tape.

Replacing the rubber seal between aluminium frame and acrylic was pretty difficult due to the tight fit of the rubber seal, which made sliding together the 2 parts of the frame nearly impossible.  First i tried lubricating it with liquid soap with no success and then with vaseline and pressing the halves together with  2 sturdy clamps i got both parts together to secure it with the 4 screws.

Another problem were the screws, which hold the aluminium frame down to the coach roof. It seems that bavaria had cut the hole for the window sightly too big, so some of the screwholes at the corners were only 1mm away from the border and the srews ran away and got no grip to tie the frame down to the roof. So i replaced the screws to machine screws with big washers and nuts on the inner side to apply sufficient pressure to the seal.

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
« Reply #10 on: November 02 2021, 19:13 »
That's Bavaria, all hold together by Spax-screws (a lot of them made from mild steel) and silicone, you get what you pay for!