Author Topic: Leaks in or around anchor locker  (Read 4259 times)

westward

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 32
  • Boat Year: 2012
Leaks in or around anchor locker
« on: July 12 2013, 19:40 »
I have a 2012 Bavaria 32. I have already had problems with leaks in the anchor locker. These were traced to the two holes which let the water drain out of the locker. This problem was fixed by the dealer but not before about 50 litres of water got into the boat and lay around under the floorboards getting smelly.

I still have a problem in the same area. When I have finished a trip where a lot of water has been coming across the bow, the small receptacle which is behind the wooden access panel at the front of the forward cabin has a couple of litres of water in it. If the crossing has been on a steep angle, the water splashes out of this and finds its way under the front cabin mattress, into the two cavities on either side of the water tank and eventually into the spaces under the seats in the saloon (and no doubt under the floorboards but I'm not pulling them up to check).

I identified and plugged one small leak around the hole which had been drilled to pass the cable for the front nav lights. The problem persists.

The bulkhead at the rear end of the anchor locker is a mess. It is obviously hand glassed in a tearing hurry and the quality of the fibreglass work is terrible. The paint has been hurriedly and partially removed from the wooden bulkhead with an angle grinder to let the glass key in and there are gaps and holes everywhere. The join between this bulkhead and the deck inside the locker itself is a mess of thick putty, no doubt added by Bavaria to try to plug up the holes.

I bought the boat new. This is how it comes out of the factory. I guess this is the price we pay for a boat as affordable as a Bavaria. I was still shocked the first time I opened the access hatch though.

I worry that it is such a mess of putty and badly laid glass that finding the hole(s) may be impossible.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so have they found where the water is coming in? I have run a hose over the foredeck for hours and all I found was that small leak around the cable.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Leaks in or around anchor locker
« Reply #1 on: July 21 2013, 08:48 »
I have a 2006 Bavaria 37, also purchased new, with the same problem. I had noticed that the deck-to-hull fixing at the bow roller was insecure if lifted upwards (by wave action) and have tried to seal this area but without successfully controlling the leak so will try some of your remedies too. I also have a leak from the starboard side rigging cable anchor plate that only leaks when heeled over and am trying to sort that too but a bit wary of loosing this part of the rigging so any comments would be appreciated.
Jim

psmart2000

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: Leaks in or around anchor locker
« Reply #2 on: September 30 2013, 21:25 »
I suffered the same fate, what with water leaking into the vessel from the anchor locker, turned out the breather pipe from the fresh water storage tank, sited under the v-berth and filled from the anchor locker area, was not attached correctly and water leaked down into the v-berth ahead of the anchor locker which is foamed filled. Water was stagnating under the v-berth drawers, the footwell of the v-berth and into the saloon area. Problem seems to of been remedied by securing the breather overflow pipe correctly so that any overflow would  now flow into the anchor chain locker proper and out of the side drainage holes.