Author Topic: Hull Blue stripe  (Read 2041 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Hull Blue stripe
« on: July 17 2021, 14:14 »
I have a B42   2000 Model .  The thick Blue stipe around the hull and thinner blue stripe under the gunwales is badly faded.  Has anybody come across a blue stick on tape slightly larger than the stripe that would cover it?     I’ve tried T cutting back & polishing,  it looks better  for a few days then back to faded again

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Hull Blue stripe
« Reply #1 on: July 17 2021, 16:19 »
You need to rub it back with 600 grit wet&dry to get the top surface off.  Then 1,000 grit, then cutting polish, then wax.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 17 2021, 18:55 »
Any remedial polishing/waxing will be short-lived.  The best solution is to paint it, which involves spraying and considerable expense.  Next best solution is to apply vinyl stickers.  Any decent vinyl sticker supplier could provide what you need, although you may need to provide a pattern.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 17 2021, 23:21 »
I had mine done professionally 5 years ago with tape material that is used for wrapping automobiles. It looked fantastic for a couple of years but with machine polishing the edges started failing and this job is now on my “to do” list once more. I’m considering paint this time as well as changing to grey as  grey is less prone to fading in our very strong summer sun. Can anyone please give advise on the brand and type of paint I should use?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 18 2021, 09:49 »
I had mine done professionally 5 years ago with tape material that is used for wrapping automobiles. It looked fantastic for a couple of years but with machine polishing the edges started failing and this job is now on my “to do” list once more. I’m considering paint this time as well as changing to grey as  grey is less prone to fading in our very strong summer sun. Can anyone please give advise on the brand and type of paint I should use?

On my old Hallberg-Rassy, I had the blue stripes repainted using Awlgrip 2000.  Unlike ordinary Awlgrip, Awlgrip 2000 can be repaired/buffed.  However, it needs professional spray application.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #5 on: July 18 2021, 20:07 »
you might want to try several applications of 303 protectant.  It will give it a shine that will last at least for the season. Once you get it to an even shine (maybe 3 simple applications), re-do once a month during the summer.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B00JREJ9WU?th=1
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA