Author Topic: Fitting a modern anchor  (Read 12828 times)

Ajhaigh

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
Fitting a modern anchor
« on: October 23 2011, 17:49 »
Hi,
I am about to change the CQR on our Bavaria 38 Holiday and wondered if anyone else has done this.  I really want to know can I get a Rocna or Manson Supreme to fit the existing bow roller assembly?  And how do I lock the new anchor in place (do I have to drill the anchor stock to take a pin?
Thanks.
Andy

Nashira

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fitting a modern anchor
« Reply #1 on: October 24 2011, 01:50 »
I'm in a similar situation with my Bav 40 Ocean. I looked at the Rocna website, www.rocna.com, and they do have compatibility advice for the newer Bavarias. They also provide pdfs of anchor templates that one may print and assemble together to determine actual sizing...

I looked at the Model 25 and first glance seems to be quite oversize for the standard factory design, which has caused me to have a re-think regarding the sizing. Perhaps I have erred in my sizing considerations...

I'll be curious to see what you think...

Ed
Ed

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: October 24 2011, 11:14 »
We use a Rocna 15 on our Bavaria 36. It fits fine in the existing roller. Not as neat as a CQR and you have to get the timing and pressure on the winch switch just right to swing it over the roller without knocking the bow gelcoat.

Rocna are naturally adamant that you don't go drilling additional holes in the shank. We secure the anchor in position with a stainless turnbuckle back to the rode bitter end anchor point. We just do it up finger tight which is sufficient to lock the anchor in tight against the bow roller.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #3 on: October 24 2011, 12:42 »
I have just changed our CQR for a manson supreme ( Bavaria 44) and found that the chain locker hatch will not close due to the extra depth of the new anchor. I have yet to work out the best solution to the problem,. I will either need to cut out a secion in the hatch and then reiforce it somehow, or move the bow roller further forward. 

Ajhaigh

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: October 26 2011, 11:07 »
Thank you for these thoughts.  I must admit that I am leaning towards the Rocna, despite the recent bad press.  However, I keep the yacht in Greece and as I am in UK I don't have the opportunity to try the templates - hence the post.
I like the turnbuckle approach to locking the anchor in place.  I will consider this further as I really don't want to drill a hole in the anchor stock (as I have seen others do!)

Monique

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: October 28 2011, 02:43 »
I have a Rocna 15 kg and it is very good.  Admittedly an older model made of SS...

Don't know about your pullpit setup so cannot comment...

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: October 28 2011, 10:56 »
We use a Rocna 15 on our Bavaria 36...
Just checking that you guys all know about the Rocna recall by Canada Metal Pacific.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

vikinglish

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 37C
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2011, 00:39 »
Ye olde CQR isnt really that bad is it?? Ive spent so many nights at anchor on ours in our B37 that i dont think i'd go through the hassle of changing....... But thats for another thread.

skipper

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria44
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: November 04 2011, 10:16 »
We have a 20Kg SPADE, which sits quite happily on the original bow roller. The shank was drilled to take the drop nose securing pin.

S.

Nashira

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #9 on: March 11 2012, 21:20 »
I replaced the CQR anchor with a combination of a new Rocna 20 and the Anchor Buddy CAB30. The Rocna fits the bow rollers with ample separation between the point of the anchor and the hull; however, the anchor shank does not stow within the anchor locker. It stores with the shank about 10cm above the anchor locker hatch and I have it lashed using the bow roller pin as end points for the lashing. I also use a nylon strap to secure the anchor roll bar to the upper bow roller structure. Although it is not as elegant as the storage solution of the original Bavaria anchor solution, the ease of setting the anchor first go and the peace of mind the anchor will likely hold in most routine conditions is worth the inelegance of the storage solution.
Ed

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #10 on: March 12 2012, 07:49 »

Although it is not as elegant as the storage solution of the original Bavaria anchor solution, the ease of setting the anchor first go and the peace of mind the anchor will likely hold in most routine conditions is worth the inelegance of the storage solution.

I totally agree........the modern anchors are not necessarily pretty but their efficiency and delivered peace of mind more than compensates.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #11 on: April 24 2014, 17:18 »
Anyone fitted a rocna 20 or 15 to a Bav 39?

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #12 on: April 24 2014, 22:48 »
Yes, I have a Rocna 20 on my Bav 38. It is working perfect. However to get the hatch closed I had to drill an extra hole in the shank to push it further down. The result is that the hatch closes, but the anchor blade and roll bar come higher and the roll bar will be almost in front of the navigation light. When the light is on it might reflect to the skipper and blind him. Black mat paint on the bar might be a solution.
I have seen to Bav's 39 with a Rocna 20. From one I know he has similar problems/solutions.
regards,

Ger

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #13 on: June 16 2014, 19:00 »
Well after another sleepless stormy night with my CQR not setting and the wind shifting 120 deg leading to a very shallow position --- I got a rocna 20. It fits my Bav 39 well and what a difference to peace of mind especially when stern to mooring in small Greek harbours.
If i don't stow it with the winch tightened up then it is a bit wobbly and need lashing down to enable me to relieve the tension on the winch. Trying to simplify that procedure is made difficult because I have a gas bottle stowage in front and to port of the winch. I don't want to drill through the shank .

SV Chill

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #14 on: January 30 2015, 03:13 »
Hi Guys,
I've just fitted a Rocna 25 to my Bav44. Digs in first time every time so far. The original plough didn't set nearly as well as my old Sarca (on North shore 38). Tight fit on the spit and the locker, but much better sleep at night.
I'll need to fit some sort of locking device to hold the anchor and to get the strain off the winch. Thinking of the fabric straps sold for roof racks etc.
And I'll grind away inside the tunnel over the stock.
Biggest issue though is the way Bavaria run the chain at greater than 90deg onto the winch. Sometimes the chain slips on the gypsy.
Anyone have any suggestions for this?

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #15 on: February 26 2015, 20:26 »
I fitted a Rocnor 20 to my bav 38 last season and found it to be as good as the German Bugel 20 kg that I lost.
It's going on my new boat in favour of the Delta as supplied.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: March 03 2015, 19:50 »
I have fitted a manson 16kg to our 2011 36.  Goes straight on and fits OK.  Like someone else said, it does not fit and pinch up quite as snug on the roller as the original, but its holding is superior and that is more important.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
« Reply #17 on: March 05 2015, 01:49 »
We too added a Rocna anchor 25 kg to our Bav 42 Cruiser.
Great anchor,  sets first time except in soupy mud but thats wny we have the fortress ;^)
Cheers

Stuart

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #18 on: March 11 2015, 16:15 »
Fitted a Manson supreme 16kg to our bav37, no problems fits in anchor locker when on mooring buoy, and secure when on bow roller with pin through tripping grove, no need to drill anything. And its amasing, sets first time every time, no more sleepless nights waiting for the cqr to drag when the wind shifts.

Ray

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
« Reply #19 on: March 11 2015, 16:24 »
Fitted a Manson supreme 16kg to our bav37, no problems fits in anchor locker when on mooring buoy, and secure when on bow roller with pin through tripping grove, no need to drill anything. And its amasing, sets first time every time, no more sleepless nights waiting for the cqr to drag when the wind shifts.

Ray

Copprhead

• Swab
« Reply #20 on: April 29 2015, 14:57 »
Rocna 15kg fits well on Cruiser 32 (2011). Only problem: The roll bar partly obstructs the red-green navigation light. I suppose the light could be moved a little.

Something else to keep in mind: If using a gennaker bow sprit, check the anchor's roll bar is not in its way.

s/y Susanne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44/3
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #21 on: May 20 2015, 10:42 »
Fitted a Kobra 25Kg to our Bavaria 44. It parks well, I lash it when parked and the hatch closes (just) The holding power of this anchor has seriously improved my beauty sleep,  but sadly the effects are still latent!
Stewart

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 24 2015, 13:59 »
Dear Copprhead,

I can tell you the answer to your warning...the Rocna roll bar IS in the way of the Selden Bowsprit, at least on our 2009 B31. I know because I bought one, hoping the sprit could be deployed through the hoop itself, but alas it could not be.

Had to settle for a Bruce (Lewmar Claw) anchor, which works well in the Pacific Northwest, but isn't quite the anchor I'd want for going farther afield...

Riyad
Vancouver, Canada

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
« Reply #23 on: June 04 2015, 21:56 »
Replaced CQR with Rocna 25 (one size larger than standard recommendation) on a Vision 40. Used the Rocna templates to check fit first and fits perfectly including thru opening in locker lid. A great anchor-hooks hard and fast. Do not drill any new holes- will compromise the galvanizing. I lash mine down in the bow fitting. The Rocna recall is very old news.