Author Topic: Bavaria 30c what go?s where.  (Read 8321 times)

KMS

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 c
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bavaria 30c what go?s where.
« on: June 24 2013, 22:44 »
Hi
We have just purchased a Bavaria 30 cruiser. The boat has both furling main and jib. But it cannot be properly rigged. We would need some help with what go?s where. There are 4th, Rutgerson's rope clutches on each side of the ruff hatch.

Which line go?s in which rope clutcher?
Can someone explain what kind of blocks and the length and thickness of the line for the genoatravellers adjustment?

//KMS from SWE

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Bavaria 30c what go?s where.
« Reply #1 on: June 25 2013, 16:10 »
Hi KMS,

We purchased our Bav 30 a month ago, and were in your position. Ours does not have furling main - single line reefing and sail pack with lazy jacks, with a furling genoa. But perhaps our setup might be of some help.

We have - on the deck cleats, port side  (port-to-starboard): Main halliard; Reef 2; Outhaul; Kicker. On the starboard side, (port-to-starboard): empty (I rather susect it should be for the Cunningham; Main sheet; Reef 1; Genoa halliard.

Presumably you'd not have the two reefing lines, but instead a continuous furling line which would take up two (adjacent) jamcleats.

There's a YouTube video here of furling/unfurling the in-mast reefing of a Bav 32 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmqEBYzVEM

The genoa traveller line - we've just replaced ours because it was green and gungy! 10mm diametre; 5.5 metres long on each side.

My memory of the blocks is that there were two on each side, one just off the quarter.

HTH - we're new to the Bav too, and your mileage may vary, as they say. (Ours is a 2006 model.)

Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Chris and Jane, Freebird of Largs.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 25 2013, 16:33 »
On the port side it should be mainsail outhaul and mainsheet if you have a coachroof mounted traveller or the kicker if you have a rope kicker. On the starboard the continuous reefing line for the mainsail. The main halyards (mainsail, genoa and spinnaker if fitted) are at the mast. Ideally you could do with another clutch each side to take the foresail halyards. Not all boats are fitted with a continuous reefing line, although to my mind it is essential, so your starboard clutches may have the halyards there already.

It should be clear which lines come back because they will be longer than the ones which terminate at the mast. The video above is not much help because that boat has 3 clutches on the port side for the outhaul and continuous reefing line, although the principles of what he was doing are the same when the two controls are on opposite sides.

Algey

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
« Reply #3 on: June 25 2013, 22:05 »
Hi
These pics may help. The starboard set now have another single clutch since the pics were taken and that has the genoa halyard. The main halyard is at the mast.

Al

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: June 26 2013, 07:14 »
The main halyard is at the mast.

:bite
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Algey

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: June 26 2013, 12:08 »
Please advise why having the main halyard at the mast is a problem " :bite" - on a in mast furling main.

Thanks
Al

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: June 27 2013, 08:04 »
Please advise why having the main halyard at the mast is a problem " :bite" - on a in mast furling main.

You have to go to the mast to adjust it for different conditions. Many people don't bother of course.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

KMS

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 c
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 27 2013, 09:33 »
Hi livefats, Symphony, Algey and Nigel

Thanks for all the help I am overwhelmed by your kindness.

Now maybe I go too far if I ask for some more pictures.
Please if possible to have some pictures around the mast to see how the brake blocks is attached so I can see what is in each of them. I all reedy have you photos from the rope clutches so I have the color coding for the lines.

I also need some good pictures of genoa travelers.

KMS of SWE

Algey

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: June 27 2013, 12:09 »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for the response. I have tried adjusting the main halyard tension but it seems to have little effect on the furling main. The biggest adjustment I have found (appart from the usual main sheet & Kicker) on the shape of the main is the outhaul.

I Just wondered if I was missing a safety issue with having the main halyard at the mast.

KMS, if I can, I will take some photos this weekend.

Cheers
Al.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 27 2013, 22:49 »
No need to play with the main halyard so fine to have it at the mast. You are correct, the outhaul is the control for draft and you can flatten the sail from the cockpit. Sail needs to be cut flat and original sails can get baggy as they get old. 

Algey

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: June 28 2013, 12:26 »
Thanks Symphony, I'm glad I am thinking along the right lines.  :tbu

Cheers
Al.

Algey

• Swab
« Reply #11 on: June 29 2013, 19:23 »
Hi KMS

Photos as promised.

Al

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #12 on: June 30 2013, 08:45 »
Helpful pictures, Algey: may well help us sort out our rats' nests when we're next on board!

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: April 20 2017, 21:18 »
[quote author=Algey
Photos as promised.

Al
[/quote

Nice boat Al.  We've just bought her.