Author Topic: Cockpit Caulking Black Stains  (Read 1349 times)

LinTeal

• Second Mate
Cockpit Caulking Black Stains
« on: June 21 2021, 18:51 »
My cockpit teak caulking on my 2000 Bav 34 is leaving black stripes on clothes plus marking adjacent fibreglass. Otherwise the caulking seems sound  and as such replacement and associated high cost seems disproportionate . I assume  there is no other remedy ?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Cockpit Caulking Black Stains
« Reply #1 on: June 21 2021, 19:36 »
I’ve been told a remedy is to lightly sand it. Perhaps using an orbital sander? I would however get a second opinion from a competent boat yard

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 21 2021, 19:57 »
Had the same problem with the teak seatings in cockpit.
Softening of caulking was caused by (too extensive) application of teak oil. It seems, one has to decide between care for teak surfaces or care for caulking.
No way to get existing, softened caulking hardened again than to remove and replace it.
We took a cutting  knife for our  Fein-Multimaster tool https://www.svb24.com/en/fein-cutting-blade-4-mm.html to remove the caulking  and after this a decent sanding of the seams to remove all rubber remnants.
To avoid the need of sanding the surfaces,, we used masking tape on the teak surfaces and after this preparation we applied TDS 440.

Since we did this repair, we applied teak oil once a year in spring only sparingly (only one thin coat) and removed all excess amount with a soft cloth after several minutes.

Since then there was no further softening caulking.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 21 2021, 22:54 »
Complete waste of time applying teak oil. It does nothing to preserve the teak as it just evaporates and as you have discovered leaves a residue that attacks the caulking. Just wash the teak regularly and use something like Boracol or Patio Magic if you have problems with mould. I don't and clean my teak once a year with an oxalid based teak cleaner.

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2021, 21:49 »
I have a similar problem on my vision 46

It appears the previous owner had the perimeter around the boat redone with substandard materials. The black caulk literally bleeds when wet.

I suspect I will need to remove and replace.  About 100 ft worth. 

It’s near the bottom of the list.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 08 2021, 14:56 »
Dony use sikins 291, it breaks down in hot weather.

Use CL1  it works and it's cheaper.

You choose
Odysseus
Odysseus

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: July 08 2021, 19:49 »
I Had the same problem with my 2000 B42    I tried a test piece on the centre seat behind the wheel.  I carefully trimmed the excess black caulking with a Stanley blade, then coated it with deck seal, two coats.  It looked great and definately solved the problem,  However, there is always an "However"  It was a less firm to stand on regarding slipping and stayed wet when raining.  Then after two season it did not look so good.   The jury is still out on this one.  I could be the case that if done every year it may be okay.   So far This year my test is just to sand the teak back to original as see what happens.  Any other suggestion welcome.