Author Topic: 2000 Bavaria 34 - Limited galley storage  (Read 1931 times)

LinTeal

• Second Mate
2000 Bavaria 34 - Limited galley storage
« on: March 12 2021, 20:20 »
I would appreciate ideas as to how owners have managed limited galley area storage re crockery,pots/pans,food etc.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: 2000 Bavaria 34 - Limited galley storage
« Reply #1 on: March 13 2021, 03:45 »
Depends on the age of your 34!

Rgds
Mike

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 13 2021, 08:54 »
Read the thread title.  DOH!

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #3 on: March 13 2021, 09:10 »
We have a 2001 Bav 34 and we ( my wife Denise ) stores pots and pans in the drawer under the oven.
Some are stored under the chart table and cutlery etc in the drawers in the table.
Cups and plates and bowls in the cupboard nearest the galley.
A few other items are in containers behind the seat backs held in place with cargo straps .
Denise also uses steamers to reduce the number of pans .
We regularly have a full roast when we get back with the joint going in at Gilkicker as we approach Portsmouth and it's doing nicely when we enter the lock at Port Solent 😀⛵️

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: March 13 2021, 16:57 »
There's nesting pots & pan sets that take very little space. Doesn't have to cost a fortune - but I'm sure the Magma set depicted below as an example does! :)

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: March 13 2021, 23:33 »
I made some extra storage by opening up the originally blocked off area under the gas oven. The vertical panel was carefully cut and the cut out part was used to make a hinged down door. Cutting was not easy, but once the door was trimmed and the newly made hole surrounds covered with an adhesive mahogany veneer, stainless hinges fitted to the lower edge and a matching press button latch fitted that matched the other cupboards it provided me with a little more space that was directly accessible plus access to the under refrigerator space on my B36. Sorry I don't have any full frontal photos of the space with the new door in its shut position, but it looked pretty good to me. Yes, the curve of the hull was a pain as piling stuff into the new locker meant it kept sliding down the inside of the hull. But it provide some valuable extra space.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: March 14 2021, 17:21 »
wife got hold of some plastic boxes to put tinned stuff in, keep them under the floor

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: March 15 2021, 18:00 »
OK, we have a 38 of the same vintage so more room overall but it’s a typical boat problem. We have a set of domestic pans which fit inside one another, lids stored to one side. That’s on the top shelf of the under work surface locker. Bottom shelf which curves to match the hull has mixing bowls, colander grater etc. Under the cooker there a shallow locker which take frying pan, heavy paella/risotto pan and wok. Remaining kitchen gear is in the space between works surface and hull, retained by a heavy duty fiddle.
Knives live on a magnetic rack to the stern ward side, under the spice rack fitted to the heads bulkhead. Locker to the stern side has crockery on top shelf and cooking ingredient on the bottom. Locker forward has everything else related to cooking in something of a jumble....
Larder is the space under the island settee.
It’s taken 11 years of evolution to get to this situation....  Enjoy finding your own way out of the conundrum...

LinTeal

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: March 15 2021, 18:46 »
Many thanks for all the suggestions...appreciated.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #9 on: March 15 2021, 19:01 »
This idea would take a lot more work, but I do remember seeing it either here or another forum (maybe Bavaria on Facebook); building a case at approximately eye height over the sink area.  You've probably seen them as wine glass holders but this is a bit more formidable, and usually attached to a chrome pole of some sort on the inboard side of the counter back edge.  You'd have to be a handy woodworker or hire someone, of course.  But, voila!  Plenty 'o room.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA