Author Topic: GPS chartplotter replacement for Garmin GPSMAP 172C  (Read 3716 times)

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
My New-to-Me Bav 30 has a Garmin GPSMAP 172C. It wasn't on the inventory, so I was pleasantly surprised. However, there is no useable-to-me chart installed (Southend on Sea yes, West Coast Scotland no!)

Garmin tell me that the model is redundant, and ebay charts are few and far between and expensive. So, considering a replacement: any recommendations?

As ever, thanks for any assistance!

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: GPS chartplotter replacement for Garmin GPSMAP 172C
« Reply #1 on: June 02 2013, 15:39 »
IMO Garmin is still the way to go.  Easy to network with other instruments and intuitive to use.  I have a 4010 on my 36 as I prefer buttons to touch screen.  Having said that the 750 series is a great piece of kit and is small enough to be able to brace your fingers on with a touch screen, but I prefer large screens and these I found awkward to use in choppy lumpy conditions.  Others will argue and think its personal choice.   If you can find a friendly dealer go and try them.  The final convincer for me was the service from Garmin - well known to be very good.

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: GPS chartplotter replacement for Garmin GPSMAP 172C
« Reply #2 on: June 02 2013, 19:33 »
Thank you, Ripster. I've a couple of landbased Garmin devices that I'm happy with - but I was a little miffed that they had pulled the support for my unit on the Bav. At least with a paper chart I could use a purple correction pen to update...! Still, I guess one has to be realistic about businesses.

Yes, I think a larger screen may be the way to do. I wonder if it will fit in the place the 172C currently sits?