Author Topic: Spinnaker Pole Bavaria 50 Vision - 2008  (Read 1825 times)

JohnS57

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2008
Spinnaker Pole Bavaria 50 Vision - 2008
« on: November 25 2020, 20:25 »
Hello everybody,

I just bought a Bavaria 50 Vision of 2008 and want to upgrade my boat with a bowsprit and Spinnaker or Whisker pole.  Does anybody have any information about the dimensions or Selden partnumbers for the Pole, the Vertical Car and the Connection ring for the Selden Bowsprit?? Are there are also alternative options to attach the Asymmetric Spinnaker to the bow?? Any information or photo´s would be highly appreciated!

Thanks for all your comments!

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Spinnaker Pole Bavaria 50 Vision - 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 27 2020, 19:35 »
It all depends on what kind of sail you're going to use.  Symmetrical or asymmetrical.  A bowsprit is useful for attaching the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker.  You don't need a pole with an asymmetrical chute. 

If you're running a symmetrical chute, the pole length is normally the same as your J measurement (distance from the front of the mast to the tack fitting on the bow).  The Bavaria 50 Cruiser has a J of just over 20'.  That's a pretty big pole.  Not sure what the Vision J measurement is.

Some racing rules limit pole length or penalize you for a longer pole.  For cruising, a longer pole with a symmetrical sail can help with speed, but frankly I wouldn't want to go cruising and have to gybe a 20' spinnaker pole!

Whisker poles are only used to pole out headsails.  They don't work well with spinnakers, which apply far to much compression to the pole.

I have an asymmetrical sail on my Bav 44.  I keep it in a sock and can launch and retrieve it by myself.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

JohnS57

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2020, 22:34 »
Thanks for your reply Jake, the 50 Cruiser has similar dimensions as the 50 Vision. The J of my Vision is 6,10m (equals 20,3 ft)
I will fit a bowsprit for an asymmetrical spinnaker bu also want to install a spinnaker pole to use with the genoa on downwind courses.

James Blackmore

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 07 2024, 21:40 »
Given how eyewateringly expensive poles are, I'm going to attempt to make one. I will let you know how it works out!
Again, anyone with any pics o a 50 Vision pole set up would be appreciated