Author Topic: Strange interior smell  (Read 2901 times)

Nicho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: TBA
  • Boat Year: 2001
Strange interior smell
« on: November 04 2020, 21:47 »
We have a 2000 Bavaria 34, a lovely boat in every respect. However, there is a strange smell in the cabins, which is permeating into cupboards too. Unfortunately, it contaminates ours clothing, bedding and towels etc. It smells rather like polish, and so far I have been unable to discover the source or eliminate it. It is not a heads smell,  diesel smell or batteries and the boat does not have a holding tank, but it’s not like that anyway. I do seem to remember seeing a post about a similar problem, but a search does not throw it up. Does anyone have any idea what it is, where it might emanate from, and how it can be cured. Many thanks.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Strange interior smell
« Reply #1 on: November 04 2020, 22:48 »
No idea about the smell in your case.

However, in our Bavaria 38 ( 2010) we had a potato fall out of the waste bin and roll through the hole under the bin and under the sole in an inaccessible area.

Took best part of half a day to unscrew enough flooring to get near enough to vacuum out the rotting potato. Ruined the vacuum cleaner.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 05 2020, 07:26 »
is your fridge working proper? Maybe you smell the coolant (R134a), which has a slight ethereous smell!

Nicho

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: November 05 2020, 10:00 »
Thanks, but yes the fridge is working fine.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
« Reply #4 on: November 05 2020, 12:33 »
Maybe the batteries? Touch every single cell of each battery if it has other temperature than others?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: November 05 2020, 13:53 »
Checked where you store your chemicals, paints, solvents, epoxies and cleaning products? Might just be a leaky container somewhere.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #6 on: November 05 2020, 14:47 »
Hi, my boat has a woody smell. I smell it as soon as i lift the washboards to go inside but within seconds i tend to forget about it. If I smell my stored clothes or other fabric the smell is faintly there but it's not a bad smell. I think its the glue that was used in the joinery.  It's been the same since new.

Nicho

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: November 05 2020, 15:57 »
Thanks. Not the batteries, tested and all 100%. I too think it could be something in the materials used during construction. We did have a brand now Bavaria 36 in 1997, and it just smelt of new GRP - quite like that smell. I have checked all the bilges apart from around the fuel tank and water tank under aft cabin bed, but will do so next visit.  Once on board, we don’t notice it after a few minutes, but a few hours later, it can be smelt on on our clothing. Not really a big deal, and I’ll be taking further steps to try to locate the source.  If I find anything I will let you know. Thanks

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: November 05 2020, 19:56 »
Hmmm try this . Open all lockers , underneath the sink of the toilets , the beds , the floor ( the easy ones ) . Put a dehumidifier on continued operation for one day at least . Then find a very big fun and face it to a locker so you can create air current in the spaces beneath .

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
« Reply #9 on: November 06 2020, 12:42 »
I keep a dehumidifier running for the next 5 months set at 55% relative humidity and it keeps all the cabins perfectly dry. It costs about €100 in electricity but really worth the expense.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: November 06 2020, 17:36 »
Same case , 35% though 3-4 months while on shipyard , it dries even the darkest places of the boat !

fjoe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #11 on: November 06 2020, 20:38 »
My experience is that every yacht has its own smell and that everything you are bringing home has this smell.
It's not the engine or the battery, it's "the boat".
Where does it come from? No idea.
Grandma's tricks: Clean the lockers with vinegar, put coffe-beans or powder in the cuboards. Should absorb  bad smell.

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #12 on: November 06 2020, 21:53 »
No issues with strong smells inside, but for last few years Ive used a OZONE generator at beginning of session and mid session.

Works really well, getting rid of odours. Manufacturers claim ozone also kill bacteria's etc.. 

it was from EBAY, 240VAC mains, so I only use it when on a jetty.

I open up all the cupboards and lockers, lift the cushions and bunks then set in to run for 1hr whilst away from boat closing the hatch. After an hour or so, I open up the hatches and let it air out for 10mins before staying down below.

Note, Ozone is harmful - so once you turn it on leave immediately and give it time to neutralise before returning. it clears very quickly was the generator switches off.
Also, I have heard ozone can damage some plastics, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Nicho

• Second Mate
« Reply #13 on: November 09 2020, 18:08 »
There is a view on another forum that it is connected to the paraffin based styrene used in curing the gel coat (?). Evidently it can leave a smell that lasts many years and is capable of leaching into clothing etc. Not wanting to over egg this, as it is liveable with, and does diminish when on board and hatches etc open. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be looking at the various items mentioned when next on board.