Author Topic: Trident control panel issue  (Read 1703 times)

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
Trident control panel issue
« on: October 28 2020, 01:24 »
This is the in-galley propane solenoid control in our 2002 Bav 40. We just replaced the solenoid and regulator out in the propane locker a couple of months ago. All has been well since until recently the breaker in this photo tripped about 30 seconds after we lit the burner. Tried the other burner, same thing. Tried again, still 30 seconds then it flicks off and out goes the propane. Tried it again the next day and it was back to working properly. The circuit breaker trip amperage is 1.35 A. We are thinking maybe the new solenoid could be drawing more than the last one, but since it has been working for three months and seems to be an intermittent problem, we aren’t sure what it might be. Anyone have any experience with this or have suggestions?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Re: Trident control panel issue
« Reply #1 on: October 28 2020, 04:30 »
Hi Sail Princess,
You mentioned that a couple of months ago you replaced the solenoid and regulator out in you propane locker, but a quick look at the manufacturers website noted the following comments:-

“ Will my old components for detection system work with the new ones?

The new LPG Detection Systems (P/N 1300-7761-KIT & P/N 1300-7760) Components are not interchangeable and will not work with older LPG Detection Systems (P/N 1300-7757, P/N 1300-7758, P/N 1300-7757.5 & P/N 1300-7758.5).”

and a bit further on under a different question it notes :-

“ How do I test my LPG Control and Detection unit?

Testing a LPG Detection system for function.  You can test the system by using a propane source (disposable cigarette lighter or a 1 Lb. disposable propane bottle) at the sensor, discharge a burst of propane at the sensor, the sensor should alarm and send a signal to the panel to shut down the system.  It is a good idea to check all wiring connection for possible corrosion and/or loose connections.”

So in regard to the first point above could it be that your new solenoid and regulator components are not entirely compatible with your older gas detection system ?

While in regard to the second point, the suggestion that it is a good idea to check all wiring connections for possible corrosion or loose connections could be part if not all of the answer to your problem. Your Bavaria 40 you mention is a 2002 boat. At that time Bavaria used ordinary copper wiring for many, if not all systems onboard. In my experience on a 2002 Bav 36, I found that the directional control cable for one system onboard (windlass to solenoid) was corroded throughout its entire length, thereby making it difficult for the required signal to reach the solenoid. This prevented the windlass up/down control from working until I changed the old cable for a new one that used tinned copper wires. Thereafter there were no further problems. Likewise with the cables supplying current to the mast lights, here I found that cable was so corroded, again throughout its entire length, that while I had sufficient voltage reaching the lights, the corrosion prevented the required current, or amperage, to reach the lights in sufficient quantity such that they would not light up. A new cable with tinned copper cores made all the difference.
Last time I read one of your postings you were headed down the west coast of the USA towards central America where I’m guessing that getting hold of tinned copper wire might be difficult, but you might be able to get new coppet cored wires which you could connect in temporarily and loosely across the deck between components just to check out whether new wiring might make the difference you need before going to the expense and trouble of laying in new tinned copper, just a suggestion !!
I wish you well and hope this helps, Salty.

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
« Reply #2 on: October 28 2020, 04:45 »
Thanks for the reply and pardon my short response as I’m on a smartphone so pecking away... it’s actually not a LPG detection system. We don’t have any detection, it’s only a circuit breaker. We are thinking about installing a a separate detector but have yet to do so! We were in Mexico, yes. We since freightered her back up to British Columbia where we are now. We live aboard so getting this issue solved is our top priority so we can cook! It works intermittently but lately 80% of the time the breaker flips itself off after 30-60 seconds.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #3 on: October 28 2020, 07:04 »
Sorry if I misunderstood the problem, but I’ve not seen a stand alone shut off system, the only ones I’ve seen have been connected to a gas detection system for both automatic and remote shut down. However, I would check out the condition of the electric cabling and connections between your switch panel and the solenoid for the reasons already mentioned.
I have fond memories of BC going back to the early 60s as a teenager on a dry cargo ship visiting Vancouver, New Westminster, Nanaimo, Victoria, Port Alberni and other places around there whose names I’ve since forgotten. If I’d had to go and live somewhere else in the world and out of all the places I’ve been to, BC would have been top of my list.
Hope you find the problem, Salty.

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
« Reply #4 on: November 02 2020, 03:01 »
Thanks so much Salty. Yes, it really is beautiful here 😊 I thought I’d note as well that we found the problem. The dc breaker switch was at end of life, causing it to work sporadically. We replaced it with a new one and all is working beautifully!