Author Topic: Deck head condensation?  (Read 1511 times)

Duinmaheedin

• Swab
Deck head condensation?
« on: July 03 2020, 19:15 »
I’m consider buying a Bavaria and am concerned about condensation on the deck heads. All the previous boats I’ve owned have had plywood panels covered in foam backed vinyl which seemed to do a good job keeping the dreaded drips at bay.
The Bavaria’s and other modern boats Im looking at seem to all have smooth moulded plastic deckhead liners and as I sail in the damp, frozen north I’m concerned about drips..

Can anyone set my mind at rest or advise on how to insulate above the liner?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Deck head condensation?
« Reply #1 on: July 03 2020, 22:12 »
There's an air gap between the superstructure and the liner.  You're unlikely to get condensation, except for the metal frames around the hatches.  My Cruiser 37 is the driest boat I've ever owned!

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 03 2020, 23:30 »
Echo that. I have had two Bavarias, one an older 2001 boat and the other a 2015. Both dry as a bone and never any condensation. I keep the boat in the water all year round and don't take any precautions such as removing soft furnishings or using a dehumidifier and always dry and fresh. You have to remember older boats normally had water in the bilges because of leaks from, for example, windows, chainplates, stanchion bases, hatches, toe rails and drips from the stuffing box. The bilge pump on my old boat died of lack of use. This is not to say you don't get leaks from such things as stanchion bases, some types of windows, failed sealing on deck fittings, leaking fresh water systems, but far less than in older boats. Have a look at the breakdown thread and you will see that condensation never comes up as an issue.

Good luck with your boat hunting.

Duinmaheedin

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: July 04 2020, 16:45 »
Thanks!

That is very comforting to learn.