Author Topic: Refinishing companionway steps  (Read 1869 times)

bruce jamer

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 C
  • Boat Year: 2008
Refinishing companionway steps
« on: June 22 2020, 01:13 »
Has anyone had experience removing and refinishing companionway steps (the horizontal wood part only) on Bavaria 34C?  I have removed the hidden torx screws under the rubber strips  but the step still feels like it is secured-perhaps glue was used at the factory?  I don't want to damage them during removal to recoat them.

Any input would really be appreciated!
Bruce  SV Chimera

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Refinishing companionway steps
« Reply #1 on: June 22 2020, 07:59 »
My guess is that the steps are screwed through from the engine compartment side, so you would have to remove the  stuck on insulating material To find the heads of the screws, and the steps may also be glued. If I was making the companionway from scratch the steps would have been fastened with both screws and glue. Once I can travel to my boat, (currently in Wales we are not supposed to travel more than 5 miles), I too will be looking to refurbish the companionway steps, but I don’t intend to remove them as it is only the upper sides on my boat that need treating..

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 22 2020, 13:53 »
I agree - would not bother to remove them. They are almost certainly glued on. Suggest you strip off all the existing finish back to bare wood and recoat with a water based floor varnish. In the UK the top brand is Ronseal. It is the type of finish used on high wear surfaces such as floors in public halls, schools as well as high traffic areas in houses. Looks like milk when it goes on but cures with a slight matt finish that is waterproof, hard wearing and non slip. Ideal for cabin steps.

bruce jamer

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 C
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 22 2020, 14:28 »
Salty and Symphony, Thank you for your replies and input, much appreciated.  Sailing Impavidus has just sent me a very comprehensive reply on approaching the problem as he has recently refinished his steps.  Kind regards, Bruce  SV Chimera

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2020, 19:36 »
Like Symphony, my preferred choice of coating would also be Ronseal. However Ant is also very knowledgeable on this subject so his advice will be good. Going back to the point about Ronseal, it does tend to dry quite quickly, particularly on freshly sanded bare wood on warm days, so my advice if you do use Ronseal is to choose a cool day in order to extend the drying time as much as possible, and work as quickly as you can so that in the application of the Ronseal you can be always working from a “wet” edge. Keeping the edge wet enables you to blend in the coating better than if you should allow one part to dry before you have finished the application to the entire area. Once one part dries, any over coating of that area tends to show up as a more intense colour than at areas where you had a wet edge and were able to blend in the join. Have a practice on a separate piece of wood, and you will see what I mean if you let the edge dry in one part before the entire area has been coated.
Good luck with the job.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: February 20 2022, 22:40 »
I want to refresh this topic because I pretend to varnish the steps of the companionway and I have a couple of questions:
 1⁰ Only the first step is really bad but the rest is ok. Do you think I need to varnish the whole piece? As you can see in the picture I already removed the old varnish of that part using a paint stripper.
2⁰ I have read that most of the members recommend Ronseal Clear satin but there are a lot of types: Outdoor varnish crystal clear, Diamond Hard Interior, Ultratouch Satin Coat... Which one does a good match?