Author Topic: Why are these here?  (Read 1772 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Why are these here?
« on: May 15 2020, 11:43 »
Whilst i was looking at something in the battery compartment of my 2006 37Cr, I noticed two that there were two hose clips screwed to the side wood panel next to the batteries.
Although this is not a "problem", as such, i am curious about why they would have been installed there.
Does anyone have any ideas why they would have been installed there?
Cheers,
Steven
SV Konan the Bavarian

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Why are these here?
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2020, 11:51 »
Those clips normally carry electric cable such as the battery cable, when its passing through a plastic conduit.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2020, 13:51 »
Those are standard 25mm clips used normally for domestic plumbing , but commonly used on boats as suggested for holding conduit in place. Don't think they are original but could have been added in that location to hold something like a torch.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 15 2020, 23:04 »
thank you, yes, that seems obvious now. the POs must have made a few changes there.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: May 16 2020, 05:40 »
Those are standard 25mm clips used normally for domestic plumbing , but commonly used on boats as suggested for holding conduit in place. Don't think they are original but could have been added in that location to hold something like a torch.

Perhaps the previous owner used a hydrometer periodically to check the density of the electrolyte within each of the battery cells, and stored the hydrometer within those two clips when it was not in use. The clips look to be about the right size and spacing to hold a hydrometer.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: May 16 2020, 21:55 »
Like Symphony said, they're most likely from flexible cable conduits that were mounted there. If the batteries were ever changed for a different format or upgraded, it's probably where the original cabling for them was.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)