Author Topic: Bowthruster installers  (Read 1546 times)

Nicho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: TBA
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bowthruster installers
« on: May 05 2020, 07:56 »
Both now well into our mid 70’s, and not as nimble as we were (!), we would like to fit a bowthruster to our Bavaria 34 (sail). We are berthed in Port Solent, and wondered if anyone has used Goodacre Boats, also based in PS, who carry out bowthruster installations. Would welcome any comments please. Alternatively, any other recommendations would be helpful. Many thanks.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bowthruster installers
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2020, 12:28 »
Goodacre have a good reputation for repairs and refits, but not sure about mechanical and electric work - although much of the difficult part of installing a bow thruster is fitting the grp tube.

Osmotech at Hamble Point is the main agent for Sidepower and I know they will work off site as they gave me a quote for fitting one in Poole. As it happens I had the thruster factory fitted in my new boat, but Osmotech fitted the wireless remote, which also works the anchor windlass. Can recommend this, in fact I have never used the wired controls for the windlass and being able to operate the thruster from anywhere on the boat is useful when mooring up single handed.

You won't regret fitting a thruster. Takes a lot of the stress out of berthing in marinas, particularly if there is wind blowing the bow around.   

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2020, 13:30 »
Was the quote for Poole inclusive of travel etc and how many days?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 05 2020, 15:48 »
Yes, included travel, but it was several years ago when I was thinking of upgrading my old 37. Can't remember the price, but when I bought my 33 in 2015 they quoted around £4500 for fitting one at Hamble Point. The factory option was several hundred £s less so I went for that. Osmotec did, however do the Coppercoat and fit the wireless remote.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 05 2020, 15:55 »
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Nicho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: TBA
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: May 08 2020, 16:19 »
Just to say all sorted now, thanks for your help.  Fitting in the next three weeks.