Author Topic: Zinc anode between keel and sail drive on 40 Cruiser 2008- 20010  (Read 2201 times)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
From the bolt of this anode , just behind the sail drive in the tunnel between the two stern cabins,  start an electric wire I cannot understand where it goes...
Can someone help me?
Tank you.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
rudder stock maybe? Geoff

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
I believe it's part of the earth-bonding system, designed to improve safety in the event of electrical faults.  This is a requirement of the European Recreational Craft Directive.

kavok

• Able Seaman
rudder stock maybe? Geoff
No, sure.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
As tiger79 says it is bonded to the DC electric circuits in accordance with the Recreational Craft Directive standards. I have the same on my 2015 boat. It erodes very slowly - even though it is much smaller than the one on your boat. I have replaced it once after the first 3 years in the water all the time.

The saildrive as you know has its own anode and there is no need for anodes for anything else, except perhaps for the steering system which is a mixture of aluminium and stainless components. However there are rarely problems provided you don't use copper based antifouling close to where the rudder stock enters the hull. It is advisable to leave a 100mm or so wide area around the stock and use a copper free AF such as Trilux (same as used for the saildrive housing) in this area.

kavok

• Able Seaman
Tank you for the quikly a interesting replay.
For the rudder  stock paint  there is a special advise with  drows on Jefa  web page.