Author Topic: Fuel gauge seal.  (Read 1939 times)

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Fuel gauge seal.
« on: February 03 2020, 08:10 »
Sorry for the poor picture quality, it's a zoomed zoom.

The seal for my fuel gauge has perished and is dripping water inside the boat via the starter panel wiring  :-\

Does anyone know if this is a Volvo part or perhaps VDO, and seal dimensions.

I can't get to my boat so the gauge currently has blue masking tape and some plastic over it so no great urgency, just need to add it to "the list". I'm sure we all have one  :)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Fuel gauge seal.
« Reply #1 on: February 03 2020, 11:27 »
Can't help you with the brand of the instrument, because mine was changed by the previos owner to a turotest model. All the instruments are pretty standard with a 52 mm breaktrough diameter. For the Volvo ones (which i think are branded VDO makes) you can get replacement front rings (i think including the seal), but this needs exact determination of type to get the right one. But you can also cut the sealing ring  from a 1 mm think neoprene foam piece, using a sharp cutter knife or a pair of scissors.

I had a similar problem with an arrangement like on your photo, where i suspected an instrument to leak, but it showed it was the seal of the compass (seems to be the same situation as on my boat) .
Worth to check before ripping the fuel gauge out. Good luck!

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: February 03 2020, 16:03 »
Thanks

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: February 07 2020, 12:26 »
I have a fix so I'll record it here in case someone searches for it in the future.

The gauge is 52mm as SYJ suggested and the rubber ring is 3mm thick.

It is a Turotest 771 129 so going to a Volvo dealer isn't going to help.

However this pack from B&Q had exactly what I wanted. £1.72.

Gauge picture shows seal fitted.

I've not had a chance to check the compass seal.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: February 07 2020, 13:36 »
Thank you for the info.
If you've  changed the seal of the fuel gauge, and there is water already present, check the Compass seal. If it's a Plastimo 135 (as usual in bavarias) you can get a new seal from plastimo with partno:  11781 

Bavaria 34

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: February 07 2020, 13:48 »
You're welcome.

A friend took the gauge off for me so I didn't get a chance to check the compass but know exactly what you mean.

I had to remove it once to change the bulb and the hardest part was finding the screws, hidden under little plastic tabs.  As it sits on a horizontal surface there is a large "catchment" area for water so I will put some sealant around/under it.

Incidentally I had already bought the sealant as I have now changed the led that records engine hours and have the instrument panel at home ready to be refitted.

Should go back to being a dry boat and I'm interested to see how far out my engine hour calculation is   :)