Author Topic: Snubbing line  (Read 2211 times)

Regdor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2015
Snubbing line
« on: January 27 2020, 02:01 »
Hi.

I have recently bought a Bavaria 32,launched 2012.

Do I need a snubbing line when I anchor?

Regards,

Rodger.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Snubbing line
« Reply #1 on: January 27 2020, 04:48 »
Welcome and congratulations for new boat!

I would go for snubbing line for (bow) anchor at least for following reasons:
  • Removes load from anchor roller and windlass (if you have one) and takes the load at cleat, which is designed and built for load
  • Reduces chain rattle noise in forward cabin
  • Reduces anchor snatch loads as snubbing line stretches a bit more than chain

We use one of the standard mooring lines as our snubbing line - just add a chain hook at the end while anchoring

BR

Tommi
s/y Anniina

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 27 2020, 08:40 »
we are in the same situation but the boat is not yet back in the water
would I be correct in thinking that you put the anchor out as normal then once it is held fast you then attach a line to the chain and cleat it off. then lower a bit more anchor chain to let the line take the weight and the top bit of chain to the roller would be loose ?

Phil

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #3 on: January 27 2020, 09:06 »
Yes Phil,

That is exactly our process

Tommi

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #4 on: January 27 2020, 10:07 »
... put the anchor out as normal then once it is held fast you then attach a line to the chain and cleat it off. then lower a bit more anchor chain to let the line take the weight and the top bit of chain to the roller would be loose ...

...and to spread the load, I run the line from the port cleat via the port fairlead to the chainhook, 1.5 turns round its pin then back through the stbd side to the stbd cleat. Divides the load over both sides, allows the hook to 'float' on the line and keeps everything stress-free (including sleep).

And welcome to the most knowledgeable and helpful club on the internet.
ATB

Mark

Sitesurfer

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: January 27 2020, 13:52 »
One of the rubber mooring compensators can also be pressed into service on a snubber too.
Another thing to be aware of is that the amount of time working at the bow trying to add "stuff" to your anchor chain should at best be minimised, to that end try and keep the snubber simple as its often easy to (either) install or retrieve but rarely both  ;D

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
« Reply #6 on: January 27 2020, 15:21 »
Snubbers have 2 main purposes. The first and most common as it used every time is to take the load off the chain, particularly if you have a windlass. For this it is easiest to make up a fixed length line with a chain hook at one end and a spliced loop at the other, long enough for the loop to hook on the cleat and the hook engage with the chain just below the roller. The procedure when anchoring is to attach the line to the cleat and the hook on the chain just as you let the last bit out. Mooring load transferred to the cleat. Simple to reverse the procedure when lifting the anchor.

The second purpose is to absorb high loads when anchoring in strong conditions. Then a longer stretchy rope is useful again with a hook but can be let out more to provide a damper. The longer the rope the greater the damping effect and it is sometimes even worth taking it back to a strong point further aft such as a mid cleat.

Regdor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #7 on: January 29 2020, 03:15 »
Hi.
Many thanks to all that replied .

Rodger.