Author Topic: Bavaria 30 keel advice  (Read 11405 times)

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bavaria 30 keel advice
« on: March 03 2013, 07:51 »
I'm in negotiation for a Bavaria 30 - I'm happy with most of the details, but she is the deep fin keel version. My previous "pocket cruiser" only drew 3ft, so I'm a little nervous.

I'm hoping to sail her in the Largs area - but I'm wondering whether the 6ft plus draft will prove a problem anchoring and so on. Any views, helpful guys? Many thanks!

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Bavaria 30 keel advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03 2013, 10:05 »
Generally the choice between fin or shoal draft keel will be one of trading off some sailing performance  of the deeper fin keel (particularly upwind) with the navigation and anchoring benefits of a shallower draft shoal configuration.

If it is mostly about cruising, I suggest the shoal draft options are the ones to pursue.

We use our Bav36 exclusively for cruising now, however I have raced yachts of various types for 40 years and can't help but tweak the sail controls when I happen to be on a parallel course with another yacht. I would keep on wishing I had a fin keel if I had a shoal draft. But that's just me.
Sweet As
Bav 36

Dek

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: March 03 2013, 10:54 »
I like my deep keel on my Bavaria 30, as said, appears to have better performance esp upwind.  I do have to confess that I once in the early days forgot how deep it was (no excuses other than complacency, idiocy, lack of concentration etc etc) and found myself temporarily parked on Bramble Bank!
Suppose main deciding factor is where and what type of sailing you are going to do.  I am not now  in UK so tides, shallow waters are not a big issue and I have plenty of depth at anchorages.

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: March 03 2013, 14:23 »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I like the idea of better sailing performance, but I won't be racing: if I get the boat, then I guess I'll just have to be a little more careful about where I drop the hook. Scotland doesn't have a huge tidal range, so I should be OK!

Mark_C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: March 07 2013, 20:20 »
I have a Bav 30 with the deep keel and have just moved it up to the Clyde from Whitehaven. It's my first boat so I don't have much to compare it to but I don't find the draught a major concern. Compared to Whitehaven the tidal ranges seem very limited and steep sided lochs reduce my concerns regarding running aground.  It's not the draught that you have to worry about, it's more the consequences if you do inadvertently dry out.  With a bilge keeler of course you get a chance to float off at the next tide with minimal damage - not the case with a fin keel.  The thing is, with the Bav 30 the shallow draught option is still a fin so you don't really get much advantage.   Certainly not up on the West coast of Scotland anyway.

My boat is afloat so if you want to come for a chat or even a sail before you take the plunge, send me a PM.

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: March 08 2013, 10:04 »
Thanks, Mark: that's very reassuring. The Bav will be a big change for us after shoal drafters: but we're very taken by the accommodation: and the sailing to windward! Thanks for the invitation too. Best wishes,

Chris

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: March 23 2013, 05:57 »
Just an update: offer on the Bav 30 has been accepted, and we're now awaiting the survey next week. Thanks again for your input, guys.

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: March 30 2013, 07:42 »
Another update: the broker contacted the surveyor andarranged a survey date - however, when the surveyor arrived, the crane company were unable to lift the boat for the hull inspection because the lake water level was too low for the 6 feet plus keel. Frustrating!

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: April 20 2013, 05:53 »
And a further update to my own post: with enough (apparently!) water now in Windermere, the survey booked for last Tuesday was cancelled due to high winds! There's no arguing with Mother Nature...

westward

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 32
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 21 2013, 16:46 »
I have a 2012 Bavaria 32 with the deep keel option. I couldn't compare the upwind performance as I've not compared it with the short keel version (which is not that short).

The deep keel version is 1,95 metres which is rather a lot for a 32 foot boat. The only advice I have is if you ever go into marinas to insist on the depth. On at least two occasions, I have been put in slots with a minimum depth of 1,6m, the draught which marina managers apparently think is reasonable!

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: April 24 2013, 14:05 »
Thanks, Westward - that sounds very good advice! We've finally sorted the survey, and take ownership on Friday. Excited!

Vjs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 24 2013, 18:24 »
Hello live fats
We had a long keel 30 before we bought our new 36, they are a brilliant boat and the keel just needs remembering.
We sail on the east coast so we know what it's like to have very little water under you!
But its a minor thing compared to how good a boat they are, easy to handle and really quick
Not regretting the new bigger one but do miss my lovely 30, she was my first boat and taught me how to sail,
I hope you have as much fun as we did
Regards
Vjs

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #12 on: April 25 2013, 12:07 »
depth of water on west coast scotland and clyde not really the concern it is elsewhere in uk ,  though worth remembering that ccc pilot books are based on up to 2m draft for those with deeper keels .

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: April 27 2013, 06:47 »
Thanks, Vjs and Singlefish. This is a real upgrade in size term for us: we loved sailing the Firth of Clyde area, and then later in the Oban area on our Seamaster 19. Singlefish, thanks for the info: we relied heavily on the Clyde Cruising Club pilots: we'll be just a smidge under two metres, so may have to watch wave height!

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: May 30 2013, 12:23 »
I have a Bav39 with 1.95 keel in Largs Marina and have never had any problems around the Clyde & Oban areas.

Stevie

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #15 on: May 30 2013, 19:16 »
Thanks, Stevie. We've spent the last few days sailing around (missing the gale on Monday!) on our shakedown cruise from Largs. We just have memories of snuggling in anchorages around the Kyles of Bute and Loch Ranza with our shoal draft of 2 feet in 1980! But, so far so good - and great weather today!

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: May 31 2013, 06:58 »
Excellent Im offshore in the Caspian Sea for the next three weeks, next time you come into Largs have a look and see if Mia is OK she's just inside the first hammer head next to where the big Fife yacht is  :D

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #17 on: June 02 2013, 10:07 »
Hi Mia - yes, Mia looks safely moored still: we sailed by yesterday and gave her a wave! Enjoying revisiting Largs during our shakedown cruise: now making a snag list before our next visit.

Enjoy the Caspian!