Author Topic: Raymarine ST60 Log  (Read 1837 times)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Raymarine ST60 Log
« on: September 03 2019, 20:41 »
I have been having difficulty getting the log to read something like the actual through the water boat speed, so having read the manual decided to switch over to SOG as that was available from Seattle, great that works and shows the SOG speed as per the GPS. the problem is the log reading no longer increases and remains the same. Have I turned something off or do I have a fault on the system. If anyone else has had a similar problem I would appreciate knowing how you fixed it before I start buying things.

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
Re: Raymarine ST60 Log
« Reply #1 on: September 04 2019, 09:32 »
You can calibrate the log speed but you need to know your speed through water to calibrate it correctly, i.e no tide (which is difficult in UK waters) so i live with a semi accurate log

manual is here;

http://www.km-yachtcharter.de/fileadmin/content/Content/Km-yachtcharter/pdf/Handbuch/Raymarine_st60_tridata.pdf

if i recall correctly its something like pressing both depth and speed together to a few seconds, then speed, then there is a CAL factor or something like that if it cant get info from seatalk, and you basically have to fudge about with that until your SOG on the display matches whats on the GPS (slack tide conditions)

problem is if your doing 2 knots, and 5 knots the room for error moves about, i.e. my log is accurate at 5 knots but at ~2 knots its a little pessimistic and only displays 1.5knots or so.

then as soon as you get a little bit of dirt in it you need to re-calibrate it all over again! yay!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: September 04 2019, 14:14 »
You can calibrate the log speed. . .
then as soon as you get a little bit of dirt in it you need to re-calibrate it all over again! yay!

Or you take the log speed transducer inboard, fit the blanking cap to the top of the through hull fitting while you clean the transducer, then remove the blanking cap and refit the transducer once you are satisfied with your cleaning efforts. This is all very easily done, even while the boat is afloat. The amount of water that enters through the through hull fitting is minimal and is minimised by a rubber flap which reduces the flow rate of the water, and with the cap in place your hull is watertight. Just make sure that the arrow on the top of the transducer points forward when the transducer is refitted into place. Then mop up the small (normally less than a bucket full) amount of water and you’re ready to go.

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: September 04 2019, 17:14 »
Thanks for the comments, I have tried calibrating the log after cleaning it. The log still registered a lot less than the actual boat speed even allowing for tide, so I decided to use the SOG via sea talk as detailed in the manual, this now displays fine but the actual log reading no longer changes and remains on the same distance travelled no matter how far I have travelled.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 05 2019, 02:11 »
Have you checked under the boat to see if there are any bushes growing on the hull in front of the log that might disturb the water flow past the log? That is what happened to mine this year, once I had cleaned the hull in front the log started working again properly.

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #5 on: September 05 2019, 08:47 »
Thanks for the comments, I have tried calibrating the log after cleaning it. The log still registered a lot less than the actual boat speed even allowing for tide, so I decided to use the SOG via sea talk as detailed in the manual, this now displays fine but the actual log reading no longer changes and remains on the same distance travelled no matter how far I have travelled.

you can increase the calibration factor until it does match, but as salty mentions make sure you start with a clean paddle wheel on the log!

but if it is displaying speed the trip log should be increasing, try using it without the seatalk SOG and see if it increases then (of course the paddle wheel speed needs to work)