Author Topic: Retrofitting of Holding tank to 2002 Bavaria 32  (Read 1841 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Retrofitting of Holding tank to 2002 Bavaria 32
« on: August 30 2019, 13:23 »
Hi fellow Bavarians!

I installed a holding tank in my previous boat and found it extremely useful especially when laid up ashore as it saved long treks to the facilities at times.
My new boat Bavaria 32 2002 has not got a tank.
A friend who sails a Bavaria 33 has his installed (I assume originally) in his head locker behind the loo itself.
The cupboard in my layout is too small so I have given the matter some thought.
The hanging locker ( to the side of the toilet assembly itself and at the rear of the head seems to be the only place possible!
I have looked at Tec tanks as a supplier (they supplied the tank and fittings for my old boat)   They make one as standard size:-
400mmx 250mm by 550 which I hope will fit in the hanging locker.   If not, I will have to get a custom made one.
Obviously I will have to resite the seacock and as the original seacock for the waste ejection was siezed when I took delivery of the boat I intend glassing over the hole if I am able to install a tank in the hanging locker cupboard and fitting a new seacock beneath the plate at the bottom of the hanging locker.

Has anyone done this and if so can they offer any helpful suggestions please?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Retrofitting of Holding tank to 2002 Bavaria 32
« Reply #1 on: August 30 2019, 16:08 »
Rather than losing the useful hanging locker consider mounting it on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit locker. This is a very common location in other boats of similar size/type such as Hanse.

Not familiar with the actual size and layout of the cupboard in the 32, but my old 37  of similar vintage also had a cupboard that at first sight seemed too small but we managed to get a 45L holding tank in (custom made of course). Only mod was to move the water pump and changeover valves a bit.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 30 2019, 18:14 »
My 32 has a factory installed holding tank in the cockpit locker which is behind the heads locker. Plenty of room and is gravity fed.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: August 31 2019, 12:13 »
Great!

Thanks to both Symphony and Moopdymike.

I much appreciate the feedback, Thanks again.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2019, 06:02 »
I’ve just done exactly this, albeit in a Bavaria 38.  The Tak Tanks standard 40l tanks fits nicely into the locker with a bit of work.  I made up two bearers from 12mm ply to fix the tank to and fitted a 2 inch drain from the tank to a new through hull fitting for the drain.  Vent goes to a Vetus fitting on the side of the hull just under the toe rail.
The head is connected via a diverted valve: one way goes to the existing outflow fitting, the other way to the holding tank.  This means only solids go to the tank, thus extending the time between emptying.
Works just fine.  I looked at other locations but the locker is the only real answer.  We did have a large tank in the port cockpit locker but the long pipe runs and relatively thin tank walls led to problems with smells, both in the locker and in the port aft cabin where the pipe work ran.  In addition, the tank had to be emptied by pumping: a significant pain during a hot summer....

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 02 2019, 11:15 »
Pic of holding tank B32 in locker behind heads bulkhead. also pic of seacock gravity fed from tank. On my 2003 model the heads pipe feed through tank to seacock. No diverter valve