Author Topic: Magma Charcoal bbq  (Read 1782 times)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Magma Charcoal bbq
« on: July 18 2019, 13:21 »
Just acquired relatively cheap magma bbq - it’s the type with the detachable lid held on by a wire. It didn’t come with any instructions and I already figured out the charcoal base was incorrectly fitted and am wondering if the handle and vent control are also incorrectly fitted. To rest the lid on the side of the bbq I have to use the rectangular vent plate but h ave seen in a picture that i should use the large round disc - but there is no gap behind the disc to allow it to slide onto side of bbq. Anybody have one of these bbqs that can advise me?

Ziffius

• Old Salt
Re: Magma Charcoal bbq
« Reply #1 on: July 18 2019, 13:23 »
PS wife loves bbq but I hate the faff of charcoal so am in the market for a gas version when I see one.

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #2 on: July 29 2019, 04:09 »
We have had four Magmas over the last 20 years. We loved them all.  LOVED THEM. All were gas, three kettles like yours and currently a Newport infrared.  Gotta throw down a huge shout out to the Magma folks.  Their grills are second to none.  We use ours four or five nights a week from salmon to London broil or New York strips to grilled veggies to bbq chicken tonight.  Amazingly, they all come off perfect and the grill is to blame.  I'd seriously consider making the switch to gas from charcoal because the flame is easier to control and clean up is simple.

Jeff
S/V Zephyrus
B38Ocean

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 29 2019, 07:31 »
I have the same bbq as you. I gave up loading it up with charcoal years ago because of the mess, so now I buy the disposable ones in the tin trays and put them in the bottom.  So much easier as you haven't got to worry about venting, and when you've finished, you just lift the tin tray off and put it into a carrier bag.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 29 2019, 08:30 »
Thanks for the replies, taking the plunge to buy the gas one in UK and ship it out to Corfu. I paid less for the charcoal one than the cost of the rail mount so haven’t lost anything by trying out the charcoal one first.