Author Topic: Replacement propellor  (Read 6654 times)

MikeGowland

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
Replacement propellor
« on: February 03 2013, 17:24 »
I'm thinking of replacing my 3 blade aluminium prop on my Bavaria Ocean 38 with a feathering prop, any advice or recommendations?

Mike

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Replacement propellor
« Reply #1 on: February 03 2013, 23:01 »
Really depends on what your objectives are. In general terms, folding propellers give minimum drag under sail. Feathering Props more drag but arguably better performance under motor. Self pitching props (Bruntons Autoprop) are particularly good motorsailing as well as lower drag than a fixed. Simple 2 blade folders are the cheapest, 3 blade folders more expensive and Autoprops of feathering such as Maxprop most expensive.

So your choice depends on the type of sailing you do and the depth of your pocket. A popular compromise is the FlexoFold 3 blade, but if you do lots of light airs motorsailing , say in the Med you may find the Autoprop worth the extra.

Talk to the manufacturers or dealers so you get a feel for what each has to offer. Most have considerable experience of how their products perform on particular boats.

Hope this helps the thought process. BTW I have a Flexofold 2 blade on my 37, but if I had your boat a 3 blade would be my choice. 

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 04 2013, 01:08 »
Mike - you'll probably get as many differing opinions as there are props.  I replaced my 3 blade fixed aluminium prop with a Kiwi feathering prop and think it was a great choice.  We have a Bavaria 40 Ocean CC.  I can feel the performance gain especially in light wind but a gain is a gain.  I'm guessing about 1/2 a know maybe slightly more.  The biggest change is it's smooth and quiet under power over a broader range.  The first time I put it in reverse I almost went over forward.  It's a monster in reverse and really grabs well.  The composite blades don't corrode and are replaceable.  When I purchased the unit I ordered a few extra blades just in case. They weren't that expensive and since they were with the original prop order no extra shipping. customer service was great helping me.  Overall I was extremely pleased with the Kiwi prop choice.  I have a number of friends who have them as well.  Good luck with your selection.

here is a link to KiwiProps site
http://www.kiwiprop.us/

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: February 04 2013, 18:47 »
We have a Brunton Autoprop fited to our 38 - essentially the same as your boat - and we're very happy with it.  It works very well motorsailing, giving an extra kick of speed for minimum revs, gives perhaps 1/2 a knot when sailing in light winds and gives us 5.5 knots at 1800rpm for less than 2 litres per hour.  The egg whisk fitted as a prop originally takes 2,200 rpm to give the same speed and burns in excess of 2.5 litres per hour.

Handling at low speeds and in reverse is improved and prop walk is minimised but still (just) present.  Worth doing in my opinion.

MikeGowland

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #4 on: February 04 2013, 19:25 »
Thanks guys for your quick response, I guess I'm leaning towards a FeatherStream which is made in the UK but I,ve also considered a Maxprop but at £500 difference I'll perhaps go for the first as performance is similar.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 04 2013, 22:53 »
Not sure the Featherstream is available yet for saildrives, but if it is would be a good choice. I have one on another boat and it is excellent.

Nashira

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: March 09 2013, 07:03 »
I use a Bruntons Autoprop on a Bav 40 Ocean (2001) and I'm basically pleased with it - more on its performance than it's robustness.

I just had a full bearing kit service and learned that there's a dissimilar metal issue in the ball bearing race that allows the race to pit to the point that even with new bearings, one feels the flat spots through a blade as the balls roll past the pitted areas. I'm not too impressed with that design - a bit similar to the aluminium rudder housing issue.

I managed to collect some 80-kilo test fabric-covered nylon line between the sail drive anode and the brass back plate of the auto prop. It must have been there some time as it created sufficient heat to form the nylon into a solid disc the diameter of the anode. Getting the prop off for service required forceful effort, which is not usually the case with Nashira. Inside the autoprop housing is a spline coupling that mates to the sail drive splined coupling employing a vulcanised rubber combination.

It appears the heat and tension of the nylon line may have created a torsion effect that when I removed the prop the vulcanised rubber twisted the spline out of centre position, which makes re-installation a low-odds proposition. I had to have the s/s spacer machined at 22.5 degrees to allow an inelegant mating on the drive shaft. Certainly this is not a permanent fix.

Back in the water today and I didn't notice any adverse vibration. My advice is that only Bruntons is able to replace the vulcanised rubber bushing... Sending the prop to the UK, repair and return shipping seems as if a new prop might be less expensive - and a hell of a lot quicker.

One would imagine that given my new understanding of the limitations I'd give Bruntons a miss on the next prop. But... I'll likely end up with an replacement Bruntons shortly. Why? Performance!

Today I wanted to test prop performance and selected a racing bouy as a reference and tracked toward the bouy at WOT of 7.4 knots into the 8-knot wind. When the bow came abeam the bouy, I brought the throttle to idle briefly and added full reverse power. The boat stopped in less than 1/2 it's length. I'm not an expert by any means, but that seems pretty good to me. Given the broad and high profile of Nashira, I have to keep 2.5 knots steerage way to keep her under control in any wind conditions going into the berth. Feeling secure that I'm going to be able to stop positively makes the Bruntons my choice.

Presumably, other props offer similar performance. For me, it's better the devil I know.
Ed

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 19 2013, 13:16 »
what you doing with the fixed prop when you replace it - am looking for a spare prop for my Bav 39 MD2030 if your selling it?? What size is it?