Author Topic: GRP Build quality?  (Read 7926 times)

maby

• Swab
GRP Build quality?
« on: December 28 2012, 09:51 »
Hello all from a new member.

We currently own a Jeanneau which is just a couple of years old, but we are planning an upgrade. We've been happy with the Jeanneau in most respects, but their injection moulding production technique does seem to result in a lot of GRP voids. So far, these have been fixed under warranty, but I'm aware that this will not last for ever.

We've seen the new Bavaria Vision series and we're impressed with the Vision 42. Does anyone here have experience of the current production quality of Bavaria? Am I going to find myself chasing little pockmarks opening up in the gelcoat?

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: GRP Build quality?
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2012, 10:56 »
We bought a "new" series 36 cruiser in 2012 (2011 hull no) and so far have seen no evidence of poor moulding or pin holes/blemishes etc.  We too came from a Jeanneau, but again, we did not suffer what you describe.  I suppose the great thing about GRP is that it repairs so well and so easily, but I agree, if you are buying new, you expect perfect!  On youtube there are videos of the new Bavaria factory and the techniques they use, but not sure you would gain that much from a marketing vid!   All in, we have not suffered any GRP issues yet (or any others to speak of).  The boat seems very solid and the finish (on the bits you see in normal use) is very good.  When you get behind the lockers and into the depths of the boat you can see the mass production rough edges, but everything is very solid.  When we were choosing, we started with a wide field and as rookie sailors they all sailed well enough to us, but we quickly dismissed some due to the materials used and finish and feel of the cabin.  We ended up with Hanse and Bavaria on our short list, but the VFM offered for the Bav deal was way better. 

maby

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: December 28 2012, 11:51 »
Thanks for that!

I think the problems we are seeing on the Jeanneau are probably specific to the latest production runs - they have introduced this injection moulding technique which is what the "I" suffix on the model names refer to. This means that the GRP is properly finished on both sides, removing the need for hull linings and reducing build cost, but it just seems to leave a lot of small voids. It had already had several repaired before it was delivered to us and more have "popped" in the first year of ownership. The dealer told us it would happen when they handed it over - and they have been good at fixing them, but I'm not at all confident that they have all been discovered and the warranty is now expired.

lagoda

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B38
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2013, 20:40 »
We went to the Bavaria Factory for a tour last year and was very inpressed by the way they are built and the build quality.
For the money they have to be the best buy around.

maby

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: January 04 2013, 15:27 »
We aspired to a Bavaria fifteen years ago, then they went through a bit of a quality control crisis and we had a close call with a secondhand boat made in 2005 which we were considering buying but turned out to have several potentially serious issues that could have been expensive to fix. The current production runs seem much better built and have received favourable reviews. We really like the layout and functionality of the Vision 42 and are looking forward to seeing one for the first time "in the flesh" at the London Boat Show.

westward

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 32
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 21 2013, 17:17 »
If your Vision 42 is anything like my 2012 Bavaria Cruiser 32 you will.

I had one hole opened up on the edge of the cockpit coaming when my sister leaned her hand on it. Since not very satisfactorily repaired under warranty with the wrong colour gelcoat and pinholes in the surface.

Another big hole appeared in the very groovy sharp edge at deck level between the rear end rear end of the toe plate and the inner edge of the big slot between the rubber rear bumper and the transom proper. Since repaired by me.

New developments awaited hoping they will happen before the end of warranty.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 22 2013, 10:59 »
The gelcoat is sprayed on, and the the layup process is all done by hand.  Each layer is done at a station with a group of people who are given pre-cut sheets and an engineering drawing to work from.  It's by far the best layup shop I've ever seen.