Author Topic: Saildrive Oil Level  (Read 4064 times)

umu

• Second Mate
Saildrive Oil Level
« on: October 10 2018, 14:46 »
I recently noticed that after the oil change on the saildrive and running the engine for a couple of hours the oil level on the saildrive (130S) had went up quite a bit (to above max).
Initially thought it was water ingress, however the oil was perfectly clean.
Eventually I figured that once I take out the plug on top of the pipe that is used to suck out the oil the level immmediately drops back to the level I filled it to.
The same happened again after re-running the engine for a while.

Any ideas if this "normal" or what the issue behind it could be (plus not sure which of the two different oil levels would be the relevant)?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Saildrive Oil Level
« Reply #1 on: October 10 2018, 21:11 »
I recently noticed that after the oil change on the saildrive and running the engine for a couple of hours the oil level on the saildrive (130S) had went up quite a bit (to above max).

Any ideas if this "normal" or what the issue behind it could be (plus not sure which of the two different oil levels would be the relevant)?

On my B36(2002) and on my previous boat (not a Bavaria, but fitted with a Volvo saildrive),  the oil in the saildrive warms up while in use and in warming it does what most liquids do when they are heated, and it expands. The first time I noticed, I’d overfilled the saildrive, and the oil then expanded while in use on account of it heating up, and it leaked out resulting in an oily bilge. Next time when I overfilled the drive by mistake I used my engine oil suction pump and sucked some of the oil out through the dipstick hole.
I can’t say whether this happens for sure on other Bavaria yachts, but I guess it probably does.

umu

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: October 10 2018, 22:10 »

On my B36(2002) and on my previous boat (not a Bavaria, but fitted with a Volvo saildrive),  the oil in the saildrive warms up while in use and in warming it does what most liquids do when they are heated, and it expands. The first time I noticed, I’d overfilled the saildrive, and the oil then expanded while in use on account of it heating up, and it leaked out resulting in an oily bilge. Next time when I overfilled the drive by mistake I used my engine oil suction pump and sucked some of the oil out through the dipstick hole.
I can’t say whether this happens for sure on other Bavaria yachts, but I guess it probably does.

Warm oil vs. cold surely would make a difference, but I measured with a cold engine in both cases.
Plus the oil level drops immediately to the original fill level once I take out the plug on the suction pipe.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 11 2018, 06:13 »
Warm oil vs. cold surely would make a difference, but I measured with a cold engine in both cases.
Plus the oil level drops immediately to the original fill level once I take out the plug on the suction pipe.

Exactly where is the suction pipe you are referring to located, please take a photo and add it to your reply. To the best of my knowledge the “Saildrive” does not have an oil suction pipe, but your engine almost certainly will have.

umu

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: October 11 2018, 09:19 »

Exactly where is the suction pipe you are referring to located, please take a photo and add it to your reply. To the best of my knowledge the “Saildrive” does not have an oil suction pipe, but your engine almost certainly will have.

The suction pipe is on all 130 saildrives. The 120 saildrives did not have this. It can be used to extract the saildrive oil while in the water. It is the long pipe coming off the base and held in position by a clip next to the dipstick in the drawing attached.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 11 2018, 10:39 »
Ok, thanks, I didn’t know that the 130 saildrive had a suction tube. Is it a clear tube that you can see the oil level through from the outside, or do you have to take the cover off to see the level within? Also is the cover something that simply pulls off, or is screwed on? The reason I’m asking is that it sounds like the oil may expand during use and rise up the tube, pushing the air out of the top. When the oil cools down the cap then forms an airtight seal and holds the oil up until you remove the cap and allow air into the tube and the oil then slowly falls back to its original level. Just a thought !

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 11 2018, 21:46 »
Salty,
         I think you might be right.  When i check the oil level (S130) after running, even the next day, there is a slight hiss as the vacuum is broken.  Incidentally, if you overfill the saildrive, oil will blow the "push fit" metal stopper off the tube and deposit oil mostly in the crevices of the large saildrive rubber seal and can make the rear cabin smell of hot oil for a few days.  Most off-putting for the guests.

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 12 2018, 11:52 »
Does that pipe mean you can remove almost all of the oil from the saildrive whilst still afloat?

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: October 12 2018, 18:06 »
Yes Geoff’s..that is what it is for. No need to crack open plug on bottom of saildrive to change oil, can do it while in water.

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #9 on: October 14 2018, 14:36 »
Brilliant news.

Actually about time they did that come to think of it!