Author Topic: Draft  (Read 2927 times)

Legrandfromage

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 44 exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
Draft
« on: September 28 2018, 10:29 »
Hi, I have an old 44 exclusive 1996. I have conflicting information on the exact draft of the boat. I have asked Bavaria Yachts , but received no reply. Could anyone please confirm the draft ?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Draft
« Reply #1 on: September 28 2018, 15:40 »
It is not listed in Sailboat Data which is the normal source for this type of information. Doubt you will get anything from the factory, not least because it is going through a difficult time but also because there is nobody there that has any connection with the older boats.

However,  it is typical of designs of that era and the draft is likely to be around 2.2m. Why not just haul it out and measure it and get the real draught - the published data even if you could find may not actually be accurate!

Graysailing

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: September 28 2018, 18:15 »
There are several different Drafts from 1.52 to 2mtrs
I have a 1999 Bavaria 38 Exclusive with a draft of 1.95mtrs, it would be best like Symphony says to lift out and Measure

Legrandfromage

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: October 01 2018, 09:58 »
Thanks, that's exactly what I will do. But in the meantime I am trying to overwinter in a marina which is very touch and go !! 2.3m absolute max, so if it is 2.25 as i suspect then it would be tricky with any kind of swell, or if it is 1.95 which I have also been told it could be, then that won't be so bad !! I know it's my own fault for not measuring last time it was out. Maybe I should just run aground and measure ? ;D :D

Thanks anyway .

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 01 2018, 10:54 »
Unless it is the shoal keel, it is likely to be between 1.95 and 2.15m

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
« Reply #5 on: October 01 2018, 17:07 »
Hi, Legrandfromage
 pls. find attached a B44 leaflet. The original design dates back 1992 and production started in 1993. It may be possible that your 1996 Exclusive is derived from this one.
As you can see at the last page standard draft is 2.25 m. While shallow draft keel is 1.90 m.
Hope it helps.
Oliver
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: October 01 2018, 20:42 »
Thanks, that's exactly what I will do. But in the meantime I am trying to overwinter in a marina which is very touch and go !! 2.3m absolute max, so if it is 2.25 as i suspect then it would be tricky with any kind of swell, or if it is 1.95 which I have also been told it could be, then that won't be so bad !! I know it's my own fault for not measuring last time it was out. Maybe I should just run aground and measure ? ;D :D

Thanks anyway .

Easier to measure in the water and no need to run aground. Just anchor somewhere shallow, dive down (the water in the med is still warm), measure distance between keel and ground, mark the spot (a red brick will do). Wait a moment till the boat swings aside and then measure the depth from the dinghy with a lead line. Subtract the distance from the keel measured before and you have your exact draught (and unlike any from a datasheet, it'll also account for all the weight you've loaded on the boat).

Unless the boat was the shallow draft version (in which case I think it would have a keel bulb), it will be more than 2m.

Saw your boat in Albufeira last winter by the way. Chuckled at the name :) Where are you now?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Legrandfromage

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: October 02 2018, 12:33 »
Good idea, I fancy a swim.

Almerimar. Was going to Los Neitos for winter but now off to Cartegena (for depth reasons !!)

Thanks for the help everyone.