Author Topic: Vision 42 Refrigeration  (Read 2242 times)

Alphadug

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
Vision 42 Refrigeration
« on: August 20 2018, 19:17 »
Our 2015 V42 has a fridge and freezer. Had both units recharged in June as neither would work. The freezer packed it in after a month and was turned off and used as an ice box. The fridge still works but produces a lot of water inside the fridge compartment and around the compressor unit. This water, 2 to 3 cups a day, ends up in the bilge as the fridge has no drain. Has anyone had this problem or know of a cure? I'm not sure if the freezer compartment was a factory add-on or if the dealer did it, they won't or can't say which is strange. Thanks, Doug

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Vision 42 Refrigeration
« Reply #1 on: August 21 2018, 17:06 »
Our V46 has a similar set up. I live in the Caribbean so we upgraded the freezer part (outboard section) using freezer plates rather than the fan and blower system. Even so I wouldn't describe it as a true freezer in warm climates. You can get ice close to the plates but not the whole section.

Have you tried checking the condenser controller for your fridge problem? My fridge stopped working last year and that was the cause. It is underneath the fridge accessed by a panel to the right of the pan cupboard under the cooker. You have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get to it !

For drainage we use a T valve to connect to the bilge pump circuit. Connect a hose to the bottom of the fridge and then to the bilge pump circuit with a T valve. Our T valve is easily accessible via the main bilge storage area just between the fridge and the galley sink. When you want to drain the fridge switch the T valve to the fridge drain, turn on the bilge pump manually at the panel until the fridge is empty.

Don't forget to switch the T valve back to Bilge pump when done so the automatic bilge pump will work correctly in case of water ingress.

Hope it helps
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Club 56

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: Vision 42 Refrigeration
« Reply #2 on: August 25 2018, 07:55 »
We had problems with our 2013 Vision 42 fridge within about 4 months after commissioning.

Fridge tech found leaks in the internal Isotherm condenser fan thermostat unit. Local Bavaria Australian agent replaced under warranty. Even a new compressor unit, only because in Australia you can't buy just the internal part.
Worked OK for about two years. Re-gassed, this got us through another summer, just!

Same problem occurred. Re-gassed again, lasted a few months. Had two different Fridge techs look at the system and both came up with the leaking internal unit.

As we are not covered by warranty any more I threw out the whole system and replaced it with an Australian made eutectic system from Ozfridge. Performed better than the factory setup throughout last year and so far hasn't missed a beat.
Ozfridge were great to deal with. Any problems which may occur I now have a local manufacturer I can deal with.

Only improvement I could make is a small fan to circulate the air a bit inside the fridge. Less AH to run is the other bonus.
As a backup we installed a WACO fridge/freezer in the aft storage shed.

Fresh food is important so is cold bubbles and beer so fridges will always be a topic.

Hope you fix yours.