Author Topic: cutting the perspex cabin hatch entrance  (Read 4347 times)

Bavchi32

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
cutting the perspex cabin hatch entrance
« on: November 13 2012, 17:01 »
My 32 (2003) has the perspex cabin hatch entrance. Has anyone had experience of cutting one of these in half?
I am thinking of having mine cut in half. with the cut at a slight angle to prevent water ingress.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: cutting the perspex cabin hatch entrance
« Reply #1 on: November 19 2012, 17:03 »
I have the same problem with my B32.   Have found a local company that will cut it but not plucked up the courage to do it yet,  I was going to have a angle cut. It is a hefty lump to store within the boat.

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2012, 19:28 »
Persepx is easy enough to cut, especially if you have the right kit to do it.  If you can find a local supplier of perspex who is prepared to supply the stuff cut to size, he will have the right kit to cut your washboards with a downwards facing slope.  I had to replace Rampage's washboards after putting the top half in backwards and shutting the hatch on the protruding bit - wasn't very expensive and easy to find a supplier even in the Ionian in winter.

Steve Cronin

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B42AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 23 2013, 10:35 »
Instead of easing the handling by dividing the hatch, which will itself introduce a leak prolem, I can recomment fitting a handle on the top edge.

I used two Standard Horizon plotter handles, obtained as spares mounted with socket screws on the top enge. Because the panel is now much more secure when lifted and is easier to swing around, it doesn't feel so cumbersome as it did before. Also it is much easier to lift out of and return to the stowage rack in our stbd aft cabin.

Steve Cronin

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 25 2013, 09:56 »
Mine was cut in half, with the cut at 45 degrees to it doesn't leak.

I have a bolt on the bottom half so I can have that bottom board in when the weather is bad.

Works well.