Author Topic: Fuse for Deck Flood light  (Read 2622 times)

CatGra

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
Fuse for Deck Flood light
« on: August 02 2018, 04:26 »
Does anyone know where the fuse is for the Deck flood light is in the master panel?
The official diagram shows the steaming light fuse only.
The problem we are experiencing is that both the steaming light & flood light do not come on and the led for the flood light on the panel flashes.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Fuse for Deck Flood light
« Reply #1 on: August 02 2018, 07:25 »
In my experience if both the steaming light and the deck floodlight do not come on, then the most likely problem is that the single negative wire serving the entire fitting is not making contact. This can be either due to corrosion of the wire where Bavaria used plain copper wire rather than tinned copper, or due to breakage of that wire. Try checking for continuity at the removable panel inside the main cabin just below the base of the mast.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: August 02 2018, 08:26 »
Further to my earlier comment, some years ago I had exactly the same problem that CatGra has, and in that instance I had twelve volts as measured with an AVO Meter at each of the lamp holders in the the deck flood/Steaming light fitting, and two working light bulbs, but no light coming from either of them when switched on. The problem was down to corrosion on the end of the negative copper wire at the under deck coupling just below the foot of the mast. The corrosion was not sufficient to stop the volts from going through to the light fitting, but was sufficient to stop the amps from getting through such that the current measured and found to be present at the lamp holder, was insufficient to light the bulbs. The fix was to clean the ends of both the negative and positive wires at the under deck coupling and tin them with a soldering iron, or replace them with tinned copper wire.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: August 02 2018, 09:13 »
When you investigate you may find a horror story - see attached picture. I had to change all connections and they are now housed in water-proof, gel filled, connector boxes. I'm not sure if this was a 'Bavaria' or 'Peters Opal' installation fiasco.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 02 2018, 10:03 »
That is standard Bavaria set up. The corrosion is likely to come from a poorly sealed deck gland when the mast was rigged. Exactly the same thing on my 33. Leak from a deck gland where two cables came through. Fortunately caught it early on and resealed the gland, but not before it soaked the removable access panel. Took days to dry out because of the foam backing.