Author Topic: retro engine panel upgrade TMD22-P  (Read 2778 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
retro engine panel upgrade TMD22-P
« on: July 20 2018, 16:48 »
 I have a wish to  upgrade the panel with oil and water gauges. I have one and the harness but not sure what engine it came from but is very similar to the one for the D2-55. I will need to fit senders for the gauges but any advice how to upgrade appreciated.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: retro engine panel upgrade TMD22-P
« Reply #1 on: July 20 2018, 21:40 »
I haven't upgraded the panel, but looked into it, and on my MD22 (non-turbo), the senders do not need changing - they have both open/close contacts for alarms as well as resistance ones for gauges. It's even already on the wiring loom - so you can tap into there right behind your existing panel.

If your gauges are from a different panel, you need to check if they're compatible with your senders though. If they aren't it might be easier/cheaper to sell the fancy Volvo panel and get single gauges matched to your senders instead.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 21 2018, 06:28 »
thanks for the reply - how do  I check  for compatibility of gauges? (they are standard 12 volt VP) Do I understand that if they are compatible all I would have to  do is to  join the gauge wires with the appropriate alarm/light wires and not have to fix anything to  the engine?

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21 2018, 11:29 »
Yes, you just wire them up. You can check by looking up the senders. None of them are made by Volvo, and the ones of mine I looked at had VDO or Bosch numbers on them (forgot which) that should lead you to the spec sheets.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: July 21 2018, 20:22 »
As far as I’m aware, there are two types of instruments, the old fashioned ones which indiviual senders wired directly to their own display unit and the modern ones that use a Can-bus system where the senders and display units are all wired into the same circuit rather like, for example, the depth, speed, wind and autopilot on a Raymarine Seatalk system. The old and new type instruments are not compatible and will not work together on the same circuitry. I know because I have a great set of new Can-bus instruments bought with good intention but which will not work with my MD2020 D individually wired engine sensors.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22 2018, 08:38 »
The trusty MD22 and its analog senders predate CANbus by several decades :)

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 31 2018, 19:27 »
At least one of the big VP UK agents replied to me with part numbers for senders. Water is cheap but oil very much ott. Maybe I should source from Perkings? Did the Maestro/Montego have oil pressure gauge on the dash? I assume the senders for the gauges need to be wired to alarm senders on the engine? I am also wondering how compatible my panel is  as I don't know which engine it was originally mated with.