Author Topic: Boom Vang\Rodkicker Vision 42  (Read 4043 times)

JJackson18b

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2017
Boom Vang\Rodkicker Vision 42
« on: June 19 2018, 01:20 »
Hi Y'all, I am trying to figure out on how to re-rig my Vang to have it come down both sides of the cockpit on our Vision 42.  I know it can but I'm trying to see what block you used and how you ran the line.
Cheers JJ
Jon J.  SV Ruck-Up

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Boom Vang\Rodkicker Vision 42
« Reply #1 on: June 19 2018, 02:44 »
Hi
I have a Vision 46. Interested as to why you want to change the cabin top setup for the vang?
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

JJackson18b

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 19 2018, 03:09 »
Kibo, Ah good question, I have tried multiple setups, but seem one stopper/clutch short on coach roof.  I have tried bring the Vang line back down the port or starboard side into the cockpit, but that pulls the boom to one side or the other, so it is not even load.  I now have the Vang rigged to come center on to the coach roof which is fine.   However that made me run Gennaker Halyard down the port side into cockpit  but it chaffed on one of the Pad Eye (we have 2 of them one of them for the Main Sheet) near the mast.  sometime ago I found a Sales manual for the Vision and it shows the Vang running down both sides.  On both sides of the cockpit I have 3 stoppers jib, main and ???

Cheers JJ and thanks for the reply!
Jon J.  SV Ruck-Up

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 19 2018, 03:38 »
Hi JJ

Interesting. I see your dilemma.

I have 6 clutches on the cabin top. One each for main and genoa halyard and then one each for Vang, Outhaul and main sail furling lines, in and out...  this works fine. Maybe an easier change will be to add extra clutches on the cabin top?  I have no problem controlling all my lines with this set up.  Use the cabin top winch for the vang for easy control on or off when sailing and then use the winch for furling the main when taking in sail. Don't really touch the halyards at all since both are roller furling.  Would that work for you?

I also have a spinnaker and run that halyard to the port side aft winches.

Hope it helps....
Ian

JJackson18b

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: June 20 2018, 04:36 »
Kibo, thanks for the reply. I’m currently rigged very similar and it does work but trying make better. I’ve been reading that with the German sheeting system that we have, you can use the Vang to create the twist in the main by letting up on the Vang. From what I understand this is done since we don’t have a traveler, So that would be handy to have the Vang come to the cockpit.  Also you can de-power a sail or power up like a race boat by adjusting the Vang.  I wish they had a layout of why the rigging should be.  I’ve looked at a lot of pictures close up and there all rigged differently.  I’ll play with it this weekend if I have time.  Or maybe I’m just crazy  :)

Cheers JJ
Jon J.  SV Ruck-Up

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 20 2018, 04:48 »
I use it the it opposite way.  Use the vang as the “main sheet” and use the German main sheets as the traveller to move the boom from side to side for twist.

It’s how I was demonstrated the use of the system by my dealer. It works well and you can use the bang in normal mode  to power or de power too depending on wind angle too

I don’t think you  need to complicate the set up by bringing the vang to the cockpit. If you have electric cabin top winch  you can winch in from the helm anyway and easing is what the crew is for

I would go play and see what works for you before re-running lines
Ian

JJackson18b

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: June 20 2018, 21:18 »
Ian (Kibo), I am sailing it the same way, so that is good to hear. :-) I agree it might complicate it to much, but what the heck only failure is not to try!  Thanks for your reply's to this thread.

Cheer JJ
Jon J.  SV Ruck-Up

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 20 2018, 21:40 »
No problem. I will be interested in what you learn so keep us posted !!
Ian

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 24 2018, 05:01 »
JJ,

I presume that the vang is a standard cable (2:1) with a fiddle block on the end and block and becket at the bottom. so it is a 4:1 purchase on the 2:1 cable. To set it up so the vang can be adjusted from either side shorten the last fall on the 4:1 purchase so it is long enough to tie a single pulley to it. Put a second pulley at the mast base. Run a new line from the cleat on one side of the boat via which ever turning blocks needed to one of the pulleys at the mast base up to the new pulley on the last fall of the vang purchase, back down to the other pulley at the mast base then via whatever turning blocks needed to the cleat on the other side if the boat. It is a fairly standard set up on 40' racing sail boats, so wander along the marina to look at the set up they have.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

JJackson18b

• Swab
« Reply #9 on: June 25 2018, 21:12 »
Mark (Mirror45184)  Thank you for the the feed back!  You outlined what I was looking to do, I hope to get to it this coming weekend.

Cheers

JJ
Jon J.  SV Ruck-Up